27" wide WY Mule Deer, 160"

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tactical.20

27" wide WY Mule Deer, 160"

Post by Tactical.20 »

This is the deer I got while hunting deer in WY. First time hunting deer in 21 yrs.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: 27" wide WY Mule Deer, 160"

Post by bucksnbears »

congrats to you. hell of a deer. great picture 2 :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

very nice muley!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

way to go. great pic
Coyotes Forever
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

It was a blast!
Sister-in-law said I looked so handsome, she must be lonely!lol I told the guys after my first shower in 5 days, I forgot how ugly I was when I finally was able to look in a mirror!!lol.
I went elk and deer hunting with a friend and his buddies. One of them also had a deer license, he watched a small 4x4 shed its velvet 1/2 mile from me when I shot this one, then he missed his 50yd shot, he about cried!
I was within seconds of connecting on a 180" class mulie, the day before this one was taken, oh well, he might be there next fall!!! I was stalking a couple bucks we spotted from the road, a mile away, when I walked into this one that was busy eating in a depression of a bowl, on a ridge edge. He was so busy eating grass, I don't think he saw me. I took a 12-14 yd shot, crawled from 20 or so, then stood up and stepped 2 steps to my left to clear sage and grass.
I thought, what the heck, JW told me he was a narrow racked deer! Jw said where the heck did that one come from, it wasn't the one we spotted. Maybe some day I'll preserve the velvet, I damaged it dragging it the mile to the road, thank the lord it was all downhill! Is is possible to preserve the velvet yourself, without freezing it for 18 months?
Elk hunting, holy moly, if I had a bad heart, I would have died! Sucking air for 2 miles straight on way back to truck, 7 mile walk, last 2 miles uphill. I can't wait for next yr!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good story. wish i was with ya. and yeah, your "kinda" a handsome fella :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great photo and story!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

good for you!!!! wish it were me
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice deer!! and yes the velvet can be saved if you didn't damage it too much, get it in a freezer and bring it to a taxidermist. It's painstaking and you need the right chemicals. I did a lot of mule deer and caribou when i worked for a taxidermy studio.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Nice looking deer. Looks pretty heavy down at the bases.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Yah, my friend used to guide hunters, he said look at how wide the bases are, would be nice if it was thicker up the main beams. If main beams were 2" longer it would have scored 6" more!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

In 2 days I'll get to see how the mount turned out. Can't wait! Hoping on a good trapping trip, been too long!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Here it is finished, Bear Bones European Mounts of Gillette, WY did a great job on it, looks real good. Now I need to measure it without the velvet.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

looks great Tac. hows the wy trapping trip going??
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Worse weather for trapping, tried a public area that had few animals, tipped atv over, took 20+ minutes to swing it around and tip up and reload it! It rained and snowed first 2 days setting traps, muddy mess, froze them all up. redid them. Only saw 2 coyotes while trapping, caught a big female cat with no kittens, thank goodness. Worse trip out of 11. I didn't earn enough money to try the area I wanted, it was a much further drive than the hr each way for this crappy area. Oh well, nothing is garrantied, I have brought home 2,500 twice and 3,000$ on one trip before, much better weather and 3 weeks instead of 10 days, 10 days just isn't enough time for a trapping trip.
It did get down to -10 and -15 at night 2 nights, I have trapped in -10 to -20 degrees, but in a much better area.