Trail Cameras

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kodiak_vs
coyotehunter

Re: Trail Cameras

Post by kodiak_vs »

Its bait, they come there every night. I go in the morning and all of it is gone, with more pics on the camera. It would be a good place to trap, but i dont know a thing about it. I have never trapped in my life, just shooting for me. maybe a tip or two and i could get lucky maybe
stopemanddropem
coyotehunter

Post by stopemanddropem »

I have got alot of pic' on my deer of coyotes, but i dont know how to post more than one pic at a time
Attachments
030.jpg
030.jpg (113.3 KiB) Viewed 16462 times
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i might have to do a topic in the photo post on how to post pictures. When i get time i will do a print screen so that everyone can see where to go on the associated website to post pics. If you can upload them to photobucket and then resize them to maximum 600 wide by 800 high, then take the IMG link/code and copy paste that into your post you can then post multiple pics at one time.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

I got 2 I540IR StealthCams for Christmas, and my neighbor has about 4 or more.
He has them all over the hillside, and I'm getting started on my side.
I put 1 GB chips in both, set one on AVI, and the other to Photo.
The infrared won't scare them away like the flash units do.
My neighbor has a couple that flash and he wished he had thought to buy infrared units first.
Now he has both- he puts them around his house for security checks when he's gone, too.

Those guys that scare the deer off check too often, I'd say, and smell the place up.
I used mine a few days in the back yard to see how they work and test them so I know how to set up, change settings, etc.
There is a little technique to it- holding the unit up and then trying to get it strapped around a tree.
Decided to use a bungy cord to hold it up while I strapped it tight- that works good.

Trim limbs away from in front of it, or avoid placing it where limbs are too close- because the wind will set it off blowing the limbs around and use up your memory.

I'm checking once a week, depending on the weather since Christmas.

I am hoping to get some varmint/ predator shots, too, and not just deer, maybe a bear or turkey, too.

I thought about bait, but I don't want to attract any of the local animal pets and get something started, etc.

I'll see if the neighbor has any predator shots so far.
I'm anxious to see what is happening when I'm not around, or sleeping.

Someone mentioned multiple camera setups on a site- has anybody noticed if the infrared units are set up to cover opposite sides of an area if it extends the range of the motion detectors/ infrared sensors?
100STR8

Post by 100STR8 »

I'll try posting a pic, just bear w/ me, Thanks!
Attachments
trio.jpg
trio.jpg (60.86 KiB) Viewed 16347 times
100STR8

Post by 100STR8 »

That worked! Here's what the yote thought of the candy Santa brought the deer!
Attachments
x-mas.jpg
x-mas.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 16344 times
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

WOW 3 in one pic thats great I find it interesting way they're targeting and pissing on the lick :shock:
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

That middle coyote in the first picture really has some awesome markings on it!! Like tbush mentioned, it is really interesting how they are targeting the lick block as a scent post. I wonder if it is because the lick block is the highest/easiest mark to make right in the trail. that spot is screaming for a couple traps :twisted:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Traps!!!!! :mrgreen:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
100STR8

Post by 100STR8 »

I hear ya guys, I've gotten around 50 pics of yotes on this mineral lick, I even have a pic of one biting it. (I'll try to attach it) And several pissin on it! I just bought this place & got moved in late September. I still haven't found my traps! I did kill one nice female deer huntin with the bow. My scope should be in Friday for my new Remington R-15. I'm going to put it to work on these dogs! :twisted:
Attachments
bite.jpg
bite.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 16301 times
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

Is this a particular brand usually used for deer that you guys are using that is attracting them, or are they just regular mineral blocks? I might want to get one and put one out.
100STR8

Post by 100STR8 »

This is the container of the deer lick. I didn't put it out for the coyotes, but I sure enjoy all of the pics I get of them!
Attachments
sweetlick1.JPG
sweetlick1.JPG (4.31 KiB) Viewed 16283 times
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

100str8 what stat are you in?? I dont think they are necessarily attracted to it as a food source. They do seem to enjoy claiming the block though as theres, if they keep marking it!!
Chris Lyon

Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

I don't usually put out specific things like this for any game.
I have planted a few food plots once in a while, but I was considering putting out a mineral block (for the deer) this year.

I suspect it's mostly being used as a scent post, but I'm sure they derive some benefit from the minerals when bitting it or they wouldn't do it. They are following the game, discovering a new addition to their environment and doing what dogs do best- mark territory, and letting everything with a smeller know they are there, etc.

I'll watch for a couple at the feed store out-of-season sales. :D
100STR8

Post by 100STR8 »

They aren't relying on it as a foodsource, but they are definately using it as a marking post! The only reason I put out mineral licks and feeders for the deer is so that I can get plenty of good pics of the deer in my huntin areas. Oh, by the way I live in :D SW Oklahoma. :D It's an easy way to watch the antlers grow, and know what kind of bucks are in the area. Not to mention the other critters. Right now my pics are tellin me that I'm not controlling the predator population worth a hoot! Santa got my daughters one of those Caldwell Shootin' Galleries for Christmas, & we were out shootin until almost dark. I went outside shortly after dark to get something, and the coyotes were going crazy in 3 different directions! I wish we could hunt 'em at night in Oklahoma! :(