Last weekend's calling

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Last weekend's calling

Post by 1Shooter »

I'll put the story up later today or tomorrow, but just wanted to give you all some eye candy 8)
So, we got into our stand by the river and right away heard some howling across the river. Seven minutes into the calling silverdog and I spot one heading up a small hill about 250 yards away. Right as I got it in my scope, silverdog pulled the trigger and coyote #1 hit the ground. We kept calling, and three minutes later another one shows up underneath the spot that I'm sitting. It gets up the same trail as the other one went on and I made the shot on this one. The one on the right is mine, the one on the left is silverdog's. His got up after a bit, so we thought we had to do some tracking. The dogs did the tracking for us, saved us a lot of trouble!
Last edited by 1Shooter on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Last weekend's calling

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good job 1shooter...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

way to go :D
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Sorry shooter I thoght it was a different one. Congrsts on this one. 8) 8) Things seem like they're starting to click for ya. I still have those traps I'll send to you. At my age (almost 38) my mind is starting to slip. :P
"God hates a coward"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Sounds good DustyC. I've decided to try two new sets once I get back to my traps after break: the hay set and the post-hole set. You ever have luck with coyotes on the post-hole set DustyC?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

1shooter, you hav'nt been keeping us up to date on your hunting/trapping. hows it been going or have you even beeen out much?? i know schooling can put a damper on things :(
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Trapping hasn't been going too well for me, I didn't have NEAR enough dry dirt for even half a season, so my traps have been freezing up pretty bad. I've been hunting a few times over the Christmas break, but haven't had anything that I could shoot at yet :evil: Just driving yesterday I saw two yotes and a fox, but none that were on land that I could shoot on and didn't have land close enough to call them on. There's two fox back in SD that I've had my eyes on for a couple weeks before break, and can't wait to get back down there to pinch 'em. This coming semester I only plan on trapping the weekends and concentrating more on school work during the week. With only two semesters left I REALLY need to be sure I do well in them. This next semester will definitely be challenging, with statistics (again :oops: ) and physics.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

8) 8) , keep at it shooter. your just like me... school and work ahead of hunting :shock: :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I haven't used either on of those sets. Let me know how they work out.
"God hates a coward"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

1shooter, this time of the year can be very fustrated running coil spring traps, have you thought about running snares???
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Will do Dusty. I haven't tried any snares yet this season Levi. I tried using them some last season but just couldn't get the hang (no pun intended) of getting them to hang just right and being stable. Probably just need more practice I suppose...
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I picked up a video by John Graham, I found it very informative.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

i'll send you avideo on snaring that you can borrow. Snares are a great tool and like Levi said i've found steel hard to keep working this time of year even with coal shale or any dry dirt. Make sure your snare support is as solid as you can make it. I use # 9 wire tied as tight as I can make it.
"God hates a coward"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

1-shooter if youre out of dirt just go to one of the ranches and get some good hayledge or better yet go to one of the horse barns and get some alphafa and drop it through a sifter into a bucket.... Also check under some of the bridges with a dry creek going under you may find some dirt there or enough to put on top of the hayledge to keep wind from blowing it off..