X-Mas Day Dog

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

NickNielsen

X-Mas Day Dog

Post by NickNielsen »

A buddy and I headed out X-Mas morning for a few hours before family time. It was a pretty foggy morning but we spotted 3 dogs on a hillside a mile off the road of course. We thought we had them pinpointed so we put on the snowshoes and headed out to get in their comfort zone and try to call them in. When we got there, soaking wet, and I'm sure smelling wonderful from our 3/4 mile trek through 14 inches of fresh powder, my buddy set up 100 yards downwind of me. I started ripping some cottontail distress thinking these dogs were going to pop over the hill. 10 minutes nothing. 15 minutes the horses behind us started acting up and I caught movement directly behind us. 3 dogs were sitting on their asses at about 650 yards. I thought for sure the gig was up and they spotted me. I turned and laid my gun on the rock pile and it wasn't gracefully done. I tried squeaking and more cottontail and some jack but nothing. I grabbed cat nip and for some reason here one came. Once he started coming, very very slowly by the way, I kept squeaking and he kepy coming. The other 2 were coming too but probably 200 yards behind him. I knew he was going to wind us at some point and sure as shit he did at about 300 yards from my buddy and 400 from me. I woofed and stopped him and my buddy put him down. Big pretty male. The other 2 ran to the next county im sure. Shity drag out for him :D We obviously did not pinpoint the dogs, actually we were way off but luck was on our side. Hopefully it's not a sin to kill a yote on Christmas :shock: Whoops.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: X-Mas Day Dog

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks for the post.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nope Nick, the good Lord gave us a day off for a reason :wink: . this is the first year in years i did'nt go out with some sort of weopon in my hand. good job coaxing them in. coyotes are getting spooky now.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

that a boy!! Is that what you had asked santa for? 8)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Nick good job on the coyote!

Wondering if you ever have a problems with your scope staying on with the wrap around the barell and then to the forearm. That stuff will swell and shrink and can torgue on stuff?
Randy Roede
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Randy, Originally I wrapped it loosely thinking that it wouldn't effect anything but I have had some issues so last night I took it off and ran the wrap with some tape the other way. Hopefully my issues are gone. Thanks for the info!