Euro mount beetles!!

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

Euro mount beetles!!

Post by Optimax90 »

Here are a few shoots of bettles in work mode, they made short work of this coyote tail.....
20 seconds in
20 seconds in
1 hour in
1 hour in
3.5 hours in
3.5 hours in
6 hours in
6 hours in
8.5 hours in
8.5 hours in
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Re: Euro mount beetles!!

Post by Optimax90 »

12 hours later!!!
12 hours later!!!
12 hours later!!!
12 hours later!!!

They made short work of these tails :) Put a deer head in last week around noon and when I got back in the morning I check it and it was 95% done by 8:00a.m. Got a good colony right now they clean stuff up fast and seems like things are less greasy than normal, makes for a nice white head :)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Awesome post Opti!!! It looks like you have a good thing going there 8) Keep up the good work and maybe this buisness will pass up the cabinet making :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Wifes whitetail 09
Wifes whitetail 09
Wife whitetail 09
Wife whitetail 09
One of the wife's whitetail heads I did not to long ago....
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

lyonch wrote:Awesome post Opti!!! It looks like you have a good thing going there 8) Keep up the good work and maybe this buisness will pass up the cabinet making :mrgreen:
I would GLADLY do this stuff all day :D :D Besides the "boyz" do all the work..... Kinda fun to mess around with skulls and bones in the bugs. We did a few fish heads, just to feed the boyz and see what would happen :shock: It was crazy all the bones a walleye head has in it, CRAZY!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great post Opti. do you do anything other than just use the beetles to get the skull that white???
i can send you a bunch of skulls for your beetles to practice on if you need :D just for practice of course :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Ya, after the boyz are done eating all the meat off, I soak the skull in a de-greaser and hot water to get all the oils out of the bone. And then bleach the skull to make it white.... Its been a little bit of a learning curve, nobody wants to help you with the bleaching secret.... God forbid the trick to making them white gets out.... I got a good system working now and my skulls are turning out pretty good... I did a few bear skulls last spring and those damn things were fatty and it took alot of soaking to get the fat out :shock: :shock:
cb186
coyotehunter

Post by cb186 »

How much per deer head? I have one or two that pops will do the boil out technique, but if your pricing is appealing.....
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Boiling heads suck!!! The horns get burnt on the out side, and the the oils and fat get cooked in the bone and the skull will yellow after a couple months. Plus how do you get all that little stuff clean.... And it stinks :shock: :shock: These beetles are bad ass way to go!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

The heads look good. I'd love to have a collection of beetles, but they'd probably get out and eat everything.

Here is a bit of a trick with the bleaching technique, DON'T USE BLEACH! It'll deteriorate the bone, instead just use a rag and peroxide. Wrap the skull with the rag and dump peroxide over the rag so it doesn't get on the antlers, if it's just a coyote skull, just dump it into the peroxide for a few hours and it'll come out white.

A professor told me a trick with beetles, is to do a quick boil of the skull, trim most of the heavy meat off, then tie it to your bumper for a few days to get it really hard and crusty. Then feed it to the beetles, they have a better time digesting the harder flesh.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

They do like "jerky" type crusty meat. But it seems like if I want them to reproduce quickly, keeping the meat soft is the way to go....

Ya bleach is bad!!! It just turns the bones to dust after a bit. I use a peroxide/hair bleach combo. Its feels creepy going to the beauty store I go to, and asking for those type of supplies.... And the shocking part is, I can't buy the high power bleach or peroxide with out a cosmotology (sp) degree :shock:
I was like "what did you just say" she said to many people come in off the street and get the STRONG stuff and burn the shit out of them self :?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Optimax90 wrote:the shocking part is, I can't buy the high power bleach or peroxide with out a cosmotology (sp) degree :shock:
I was like "what did you just say" she said to many people come in off the street and get the STRONG stuff and burn the shit out of them self :? So i said don't worry i know all about this stuff and here's my comotology (sp) degree!!! :D
You forgot to finish your story!!! I did it for you :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

:shock:
lyonch wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:the shocking part is, I can't buy the high power bleach or peroxide with out a cosmotology (sp) degree :shock:
I was like "what did you just say" she said to many people come in off the street and get the STRONG stuff and burn the shit out of them self :? So i said don't worry i know all about this stuff and here's my comotology (sp) degree!!! :D
You forgot to finish your story!!! I did it for you :lol: :lol:
Damn!!! I have been outed..... Thats why I have been accussed of being a "metrosexal" :shock: :shock: What ever the hell that is.....
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

what are you using for degreaser? dawn dish soap and water was the best i have used. another way to use the peroxide on lager skulls is to mix with baby powder and make a paste paint it on and leave on the skulls for a few days then rinse off. the plastic soda cups from the gas station work good to soak coyote skulls in. the beetles are bad ass and the best way to clean skulls. i wish i had a heated place to keep them. what are you using for bedding? paper out of a paper shredder works good.

i had a high school sience class that was based around them :D . homework for the weekend was to bring in heads :D .
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I have been using a degreaser from lowes called "white lightning" its clear and don't stain the bone...I have also been soaking them in hot water and soap to break down the oils, seems to working good :)

Been mixing a liquid and powder bleach to make paste, and your right its WAY better to apply that way...

Bedding started out as a little bit of wood plannings from the shop and some cardboard for them to change from larva stage to bettle stage. Now there is so much "frass" (molting shells) that its damn neer 4-5" thick and seems to be working great.....