Coyote hunting

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Randy and I went hunting with Merv Griswold this morning. Made two stands and had a triple come in on the second. Merv had my airdedale and his two females in his lap with all 3 coyotes standing within feet of him screaming at the dogs. My dog got into it with all 3 and decided it would be safer with Merv. Randy did not get a shot off because the coyotes where two close to Merv. Great to watch, just wish I had taken a picture with the camera in my back pocket. We were trying to get a coyote set up for Randy so Merv and I both passed up a couple of shots. Merv ended up shooting the male off to the left of him out of sight of Randy and I. Good morning of hunting. Randy slept all the way back to the house.

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

First stand with new dogs, Molly and Trixie

Second stand with Molly and Bear
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thats a nice lookin area that you hunt jamie 8) . what kind of dogs are molly and trixie? the black one looks like it has some lab in it and the white one looks like it has some german shorthair or english pointer in it. it must be a little warm out there cause that yote has virtually no fur.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotes look pretty funny with out fur! :lol:

How many coyotes do you have under your belt this year?? What do you do with the fur this time of the year??
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Molly (the black dog) is 1/2 german shorthair and 1/2 mt. cur and Trixie is 1/4 jack russel, 1/4 airedale, 1/2 german short hair. The little white one seems to have alot of hunt in her. Time will tell. It is hot over here. mid to high 90's every day.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good looking dogs Jamie i'm sure i will be regretting not taking one of them from Merv.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That little white one is a running fool. Real good movement on stand. It is a wait and see with the black dog.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

just for my own knowledge, How much training goes into training dogs to hunt coyotes? Is there special breed that work better?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think alot of it needs to be instinctive. Breed of Dog? I have an Airedale that has been coming along fine. He has dug adult coyotes out of holes, dug out pups and brought them to the mouth of the den, and finds dead coyotes. I worked with him alot on finding dead coyotes with a drag. It would be tough to teach a dog how to dig out pups or dig out a full grown coyote. Airedale's, Airedale crosses (Hounds, Curs, Border Collie, Terriers, etc..), and Curs are used alot for coyote hunting and trapping.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

jamie when you say they dig out adult coyotes does that mean they go right in the den with them and pull them out? To me that seems real interesting. It seems like you always have a huntin partner when you hunt with a dog. :D
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

This spring my Airedale dug a wounded coyote out of a old badger hole. It took him about 30 minutes of him digging until I could see her tail and hind end. I finally got a shot off with .22 pistol into the hind quarters. I sent the dog back into the hole and he pulled her out. If I have a coyote in a hole he will start bawling and whinning at the entrance. His enthusiasum wanes some with the temperature, if it is 1pm and 98 deg. (which at that time of the day, it has been that hot most of the summer). So I am saying he will not always dig them out but he does always let me know if there is a coyote in the hole. Fox too for that matter. I am with the dogs pretty much everyday, I would be lost with out them.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

They sure sound like some useful tools for you!!! It also seems like you found yourself a few good sidekicks to help ya out :D
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

In any kind of control work (spring calling) and any kind of trapping a dog is a must
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

When I bring my dog as a partner I always get the first shot and I never miss :lol:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

called this old female in at 10:00 with a rabbit distress. I forgot my song dog in my other shirt and had to grab the Foxpro. I turned it on and had her at 40 yards in less time than it took me to hit the remote and try to glance at my watch. She got below me and I had to turn the scope to 4X, get up on my knees, lean around some Sage and poke her in the side. Start to finish, less than minute. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then. Poor old Bitch even had worn a snare on her neck for awhile. you can see the wear mark around her neck with no hair. The rancher told me that between him and two other ranchers they hang around 600-800 snares each winter. They all call or spot light and a little trapping as well. I just got lucky. Right place right time.

Check out these teeth. Back molars or practically gone.