Fallguy's Season

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Fallguy's Season

Post by Fallguy »

Got my first coyote kill of the year on Sunday morning. Papapete and I were out pheasant hunting this weekend and decided to go calling for predators in the mornings rather than hunt geese.

On Saturday morning we were set up on adjacent hillsides near a pasture and some sunflowers. Papapete called, and I saw one coyote near the edge of the flowers, then disappear behind the hill. I was waiting for the shot from Papa, the whole time not knowing that he was watching a total of FIVE coyotes in the flowers. Eventually a coyote comes running between us. I actually heard his footsteps before seeing him run from behind me on my right side. He winded Papapete and I thought it was the one I had already seen and that it was the only one there. Like an idiot I made a running shot. Unknown to me was that Papapete had another coyote in his scope at 50 yards, and was just clicking off his safety when I fired. We left with no fur. I pretty much beat myself up about it in my brain the rest of the day hunting roosters.

The next morning we went back and did the same exact setup at the exact same time, and I couldn't believe it but 4 coyotes came in to the call. I shot this 24.5 pound female pup at about 150 yards. It is the first kill for my new 223 Weatherby Vanguard shooting 50 Grain V Max. A broadside shot created an exit hole the size of my thumbprint. Not bad in my eyes. I skinned her out last night and she has a pretty coat. Time to break out the stretchers!

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice yote!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

cool pick 8) Sounds like you saw a few :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

NICE CONGRATS :wink:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good work. Now put that vast amount of knowledge that you learned at the putting up fur seminar to work so that you get top dollar :D :wink:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thats the plan. Here is a photo of the female on the stretcher. Also my son in the picture calling on his call. What a goof!

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Better be careful before you know it he will be out calling dad :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well Papapete and I finally got out for a full day of coyote hunting. (My first full day out since October :-? )

Conditions wise it was one of the best days I have ever been out - partly cloudy with minimal south winds. It was great!

We hunted some new land I got access to this year. It was only my second time hunting it so I am still getting used to the layout, etc.

1st stand: Spot a coyote 600-800 yards out on a rock pile. Distress, Ki-yis, etc. make the coyote stand up and look around and lay back down to sleep. We make a sneak on it in the fresh powdery snow and use a hill as a cover. The rock pile was the highest thing around so the coyote had the advantage. We get within 100 yards, call, same result. Nothing. We were wondering if he was still even there. Get within 50 yards of the rock pile and he stands up, looking right at Papapete. An off hand shot results in lead added to the soil.

We work the land with some more sets. On the 5th and final set I get a coyote to appear downhill from me at about 150 yards. I lipsqueak and the coyote presents a head on shot. I dial up to 14 power and he looks fine. Somehow I pull as I stroke the trigger. MISS! In looking through the scope the coyote gives me one of those "head to the side confused dog look". He doesn't run, so I must cycle my bolt to chamber another round. Then he runs. :eyeroll: Bye Bye coyote.

Next stand Papapete calls in a nice female. She comes, working her tail off in the deep snow. I get another chance at a head on shot about 150-200 yards. This time it works out and I drag a coyote back to the truck.

We drive around a little bit to scope out some other spots, finally deciding on a brushy area just off the road. A nice short walk felt GREAT after walking through calf deep snow from 8 AM until 1 PM hitting the hills! Never did this spot before, so we set up with our visibility NOT at the optimum. I end up calling 3 coyotes to the edges of the buckbrush. Papapete has to turn to get one prior to winding us, and a miss.

All in all we saw 8 coyotes, bagged 1, and missed 3. If we had been shooting well we should have had 3. If we had been shooting exceptional we should have had 4. Oh well...there is always another day.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great post
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I knew i should of charged for that Honey Hole :D
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Prairie Ghost wrote:I knew i should of charged for that Honey Hole :D
If you ever get back in the area the fire wood is still by that little dead tree if you camp out. :wink:
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team