How To Make Poor Man's Swivels

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

How To Make Poor Man's Swivels

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

ImageImageImageImageImageQuite awhile back I was looking for the little gadget that makes swivels. In the meantime I was experimenting with a simple way to make swivels out of #11 wire and #9 wire. I came up with simple way to make them. All you need is a lineman plier. What's nice about making them this way is you can get them really tight and make them any size you want from in-line swivels to the regular kind. It is not very speedy , but will give you somthing to do when you get bored. If you go out in your shop and make a few every night you can make a bunch in no time and the size and shape you want them. You just cut your wire and then form it into a V-shape or what ever design you desire. Then you stick it in the vise with another wire the same size, only in the middle. Tighten all three wires down good in the vise. Then take you lineman pliers and bend the outside wire accross the center one . Then all you have to do is wrap each one around the center wire to how ever many wraps you want. Just cut off the ends and you have a nice tight swivel to your spec. I make big one and little one for my cat snares. Then double in-line ones are a little harder to make . I tried a few just to see if I could make them but it is quite a bit of trouble. Kinda neat looking though. Of course , you can buy them already to go but I guess I'm from the "Do It Yourself School". Here are some pictures from start to finish. Hope I can get them all on here.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Very nice jerry something a guy could keep himself busy with in the off season when you have the itch and could help on the budget.

thanks for sharing
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

A guy definetly has to like the do it yourself way. It is usually cheaper and means more when you catch something in a trap that you have personally made :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Re: How To Make Poor Man's Swivels

Post by 1Shooter »

I'm going to have to give this a try. Haven't got a bench vice, but will try my luck with a couple sets of pliers.
The next day:
Couldn't get them quite as tight as I'm sure I could have with a bench vice, but the #9 wire SHOULD hold up, right?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19