8NDCC Coyote Classic 7-9 January 2010

1-day coyote hunting tournament in Dickinson, ND Saturday Jan. 08, 2022. There will be a mandatory rules meeting at 6:00 p.m. Friiday January 7th at the in Dickinson, ND. Blocks will be distributed at that time.
There will be a check in Saturday at 7pm at the hotel parking lot. This hunting tournament is a two-day points series contest with a $100* per team entry fee (see rules for details). 1st 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%, place finishes will be awarded to the teams with the highest one-day total. Additional prizes to be determined.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: 8NDCC RESULTS

Post by Tim Anderson »

It works now.. :mrgreen:
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

hey t-bush i forgot about the reporter girl :D hubba hubba thanks for the reminder. hey the video and pictures are pretty awsome i loved the paper rock scissors for the gun great idea.
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

man wish i could have been there. great idea on the rifles. :D
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

What you are all chasing

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Many will try but only a select few will succeed!!!
Attachments
S7300017 (Small).JPG
S7300012 (Small).JPG
S7300013 (Small).JPG
S7300016 (Small).JPG
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: What you are all chasing

Post by LeviM »

The skull trophy is my ultimate goal!!! I will settle for nothing less!!!
Last edited by LeviM on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Everyone left with a doorprize! Thanks to all the sponsors
Attachments
S7300006 (Small).JPG
S7300007 (Small).JPG
S7300008 (Small).JPG
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Incase you were watching a particular team
Attachments
S7300027 (Small).JPG
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The "Hardware Table"
Attachments
S7300004 (Small).JPG
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

One of these years i will have that skull trophy sitting on display at my house!!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

News Release . . . For Immediate Release . . . Jan. 20, 2010

8th ANNUAL COYOTE CLASSIC A SUCCESS

Coyotehunter.net would like to thank everyone who participated in the “Coyote Classic” this year. Held at The Quality Inn in Dickinson, North Dakota January 7-9, 2010, this tournament offered over $16,000 in cash and prizes. We had for the most part great coyote calling weather. Cold and a light breeze. Talking with some of the teams they ended up with swirling winds at times and excessive wind at other times but most teams had a great two days to be out calling. Now I say perfect for calling……………not by southern tournament standards, –38 deg. in most states is a “State of Emergency”, in North Dakota it means it is time to grab a gun and a call. This is one of the reasons I believe this is the toughest hunt in the country. Year after year we have the toughest conditions to deal with during the “Classic”. Snow, Wind and Cold…scares some teams away, the “Classic” has it in spades. Last year the weather was so bad that they shut the interstate down, every team (49) still went out and hunted. A very tough bunch of guys working hard to get a Coyotehunter.net coyote skull trophy.

Coyotehunter.net offered prize money and plaques to the teams that brought in the most coyotes in this two-day tournament. Cash prizes were awarded both Friday and Saturday for the largest and smallest coyotes brought in by the 43 two-man teams. After the awards ceremony Saturday we passed out over $3000 in door prizes with everyone on Saturday night going home with something. Thanks to Jason Notch at DPMS Panther Arms we were again able to give away 2 SST Barreled .223 AR’s at this years event. We drew two team numbers out of a hat and had the teams compete in Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who would go home with a gun. Clint Neshem and Brad Johnson each took home a rifle. Thanks to everyone who stuck around for the Awards presentation.

The largest coyote shot on Friday weighed in at 33.42 lbs, and was taken by Ryan Albin and Brad Staiger. The smallest dog for day one weighed 19.86 lbs, and was taken by Trell Shypkoski and Sam Clyde. The largest coyote taken Saturday was brought in by Wayne Buchholz and Justin Rogstad, and it weighed in at 34.20 lbs. John Powell and John Powell Jr. took the prize on Saturday, for the smallest dog, weighing in at 18.25 lbs. These teams took home $322.00 a piece for the big dog/little dog contest totaling $1290.00.

Over 662 coyotes where seen during this two day event with 98 coyotes checked-in. All that white snow really made them stand out. This is a all time high for the number of coyotes seen at the Classic. Also the number of mange coyotes (23) turned was a high for us as well. The top 10 teams split cash purses totaling $8,600.00, plus an additional $2762.00 was paid out to the top 3 teams through the Calcutta Auction which also raised money for the Noon Lions Club of Dickinson. First Place this year went to Troy Sand and Scott Larson who brought in a total of 9 coyotes, which got them coyote skull trophies, and $2150.00. Their team was bought in the Calcutta by Joel Beck and Mike Amb so their cash payout was $1381.00 for buying the winning team in the Calcutta. Second place went to Jason and Dan Arnson bringing in 7 coyotes (5:07pm pm check-in) they bought themselves in the Calcutta so their winnings totaled $2,549.00 and plaques. Gary Will and Kevin Hertz (5NDCC winners) took 3rd place with 7 coyotes (check in time of 5:26pm). They were awarded Plaques and $1290.00 plus they bought themselves in the Calcutta, which paid out an additional $552.00 for a total of $1842.00. John and Joe Bertolotto shot 6 coyotes to take 4th place this year, they went home with $1032.00 and Plaques. Fifth place winners with 5 dogs (3:09 pm check-in) Damon Finley and Jesse Suckut were awarded $688.00 and Plaques. To finish out the top ten teams: 6th place Chris Lyon and Levi McNally 5 coyotes (5:29 pm) $516.00, 7th place John Powell and John Powell Jr. 4 coyotes (4:17 pm) $430.00, 8th place Joel Kaczynski and Dale Peplinski 4 coyotes (5:55 pm) $344.00, 9th place Keith Baer and Denis Troftgruben 3 coyotes (2:49 pm) $258.00, 10th place Tom and Matt Benjamin 3 coyotes (4NDCC winners) (4:46 pm) $172.00.

Thank you to everyone who participated this year. Registration is available on line now 2011 and all teams that were entered in the 2010 Coyote Classic will be eligible for early registration until September 01, 2010. The sooner you sign up the sooner you leave at the morning check-ins. After the September 01, 2010 dead line the 2011 Coyote Classic will be open for everyone. We already have teams signed up for the 9NDCC. Hope to see you there.

Coyotehunter.net would like to thank Terri Thiel of the Dickinson Convention and Visitors Bureau for all their hard work. A special thanks to the following: Brad Troftgruben, Randy P. Olson, Levi Mcnally, and Chris Lyons for all the hard work they did running the tournament. I would also like to thank the Quality Inn of Dickinson, ND. Thanks to all the contributors and sponsors: D.P.M.S Panther Rifles, Zepp’s Predator Calls, FoxPro, Burnham Brothers, Andrus Outdoors of Dickinson, Berger Bullets, Crit’R-Call, Hunter Specialties, Steve Thompson, and the Noon Day Lions Club. We would like to thank all of you for your help and support, advertising and donating doors prizes. And special thanks again this year to all the hunters who continue to support this annual event.
Coyotes Forever
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say congrats to the teams that placed and thanks to everyone associated with the NDCC. I had an absolute blast and cannot wait for next year. Jamie, Brad, Levi, Chris, you guys were a ton of help to a contest newbie so I didnt end up getting any coyotes DQ"D. I appreciate it much. :D I was very cool to finally meet some of the guys off this site and put faces to names. Being the clever devil that I am(not) I also figured out that if you stand around long enough and shut your mouth, there is LOTS to learn!!!!!! Course, shutting my mouth is the hard part but anyway. :D

Tbush, very cool to meet you but how wierd was that. If two guys are sneaking up and the same coyote and he still gets away, we'd a both looked pretty dumb. At least one of us got him and we both walked away with a funny story. Good job and nice spot and stalk!!!!:D How close did you finally end up getting to him anyway?

Randy R, nice to meet you as well and thanks for the advice also. I know I talked with a few others from here and I apologize if I cannot remember each one but in any case, I had a great time at my first ever tournament hunt. I learned alot, made some new friends and cant wait for next year. My partner says he's actually gonna let me load my gun next year so look the hell out!!!

Seriously tho, nice to meet all the fellas that I talked to and have a great "rest of the season"

Take care,

Jaybic
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Jaybic, after calling him in and he not coming any closer I walked up the ledge and he was 40 ft away, as you know (because you hit the grnd) it took 4 shots, left to right on snow shoes then I sat down and settled on him and bang flop no more than 100yds from ya :lol: :wink: but its all good :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'm missing parts of this story. i take it you 2 guys were sneaking the same coyote??? do tell 8)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thats about what I figured. It looked like you were right on top of him. :D

BNb, Yep, you guessed it. On the first day of the NDCC, both my team and Tbushs team were hunting an area that we both know well. We had killed a coyote off this land right at first light and then driving back by, seen another coyote just lolly-gagging around on a dead cow. Well, we had NO IDEA that anyone was around so I got dropped off and comenced to putting the stealh sneak on him. Tbush may have to chime in to keep this story on track but as I understand it, coming from him, he had already seen it and was stalking in on it and had tried to call it or something like that(Tbush????). Anyway, I am watching the coyote and sneaking closer and I only have to get maybe another 75-100 yards or so and it should be a chip shot. Next thing I know, I am looking thru my binos and a fella pops up RIGHT over the top of the coyote and the coyote is up and running. Now the coyote, as memory serves me is pretty much right dead between me and Tbush and he has NO IDEA I am there and I see his rifle come up and 4 shots later, the coyote is down. I didnt find out until later who it was but we had a laugh over it later.

On a serious note tho, you cannot be to careful out there. A guy always thinks he is the ONLY one around and this goes to show that you still have to pay attention. I was behind a hill and safe when he shot but only because I was lucky enough to see it coming. It was no ones fault and we both had permission to be there. Just a complete fluke but hell, I guess I made a new friend out of the deal and got away with a good TRUE story. :D

Anyway, Tbush may have a few other blanks to fill in but thats the skinny as I recall it from where I was. If I was to give Tbush any hard time over it, I would wonder how it took 4 shots that close to get him. He could near have beat him to death. His stalk was that good!

Later fellas,

Jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

thats an awesome story :D looks like you BOTH win :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."