Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

The furshed is a great place to go, he is very fair! I have been there plenty of times this year and he has treated me great everytime. We are on first name basis now, he was actually showed me everything he looks for in a coyote, some tips on skinning coyotes and coon! Great guy!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yes, Dusty is a great guy. I sold to him in December, and I felt I was treated fairly. I also ran into him at the NDFHTA Winter Meet in Bismarck. We BS'd and talked fur business for about 10 minutes before he had to set up his booth.

Papapete sold some more put up fur of ours this week to Dusty and we averaged 25/yote. One went as high as 35 and 2 others were rubbed some. According to Papapete Dusty had a pile of about 100 coyotes he had to skin so I am sure he was happy to get some prepped fur in. :shock:
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya i know i wouldn't like looking at a pile that big right now
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I think right now he is tanning all of his hides and holding on to them for next year. Thats what he told us about 3 weeks ago!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Post by lyonch »

Levi talked to Dusty Yesterday and he isn't going to start buying any furs until Novemeber 15th. He felt that a coyote that was fully put up will bring about 15 bucks :shock: :shock: I know this is just a personal opinion but i think that NAFTA and FHA need to take all them furs that are absolutely worthless and burn tham fricken things and tell them guys that only shoot 2 a year and expect top dollar for them to kiss off and never bring in furs unless there willing to put them up :evil: :evil: . I do realize that a good quality coyote will always sell and sell for decent money but in order for those average coyotes to sell good again all that shitty fur needs to be taken care of.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Well Chris then what will you do with those 2 a year that you shoot :lol:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

hahahahaha funny guy and you're lucky i wont go there :wink:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Daryl wrote:Well Chris then what will you do with those 2 a year that you shoot :lol:

With that said what are you going to do with those 40 some coyotes you shooting in wyoming? :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I wasn't going to go there but i think it was montana not wyoming :lol: I could be wrong though :shock: , it wouldn't suprise me :oops:
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Sold them to buy a map with little coyote pics on it so i know where to hunt :D :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

you would be that guy :wink: Well if you have a map like that then you shouldn't have a problem winning every tournament you enter this year :o
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Not sure how many i will enter this year. I broke my right wrist on wednesday and had to have surgery to install plates and screws. Have to wait and see how it heals up. I am going to try to get to Minot but will just be the caller if i come but that again depends on how my wrist feels.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch wrote:Levi talked to Dusty Yesterday and he isn't going to start buying any furs until Novemeber 15th. He felt that a coyote that was fully put up will bring about 15 bucks :shock: :shock:

tell them guys that only shoot 2 a year and expect top dollar for them to kiss off and never bring in furs unless there willing to put them up :evil: :evil: .

Ouch! 15 bucks doesn't sound too great for a fully put up coyote. I am going to start putting up a few furs on Wednesday night. I averaged 30 per hide last year. If it isn't as much this year, it is still rewarding and good practice to get faster at it.

IMO that might be bad for business if buyers start telling guys to "kiss off" if they bring in two coyotes. Word among hunters will spread fast and that buyer would get a bad reputation if you ask me. Let's use Dusty for example...here we are on a thread talking about his business, and most people I have heard are happy with the way he does business. If people got burned by a particular fur buyer, I don't think it would take long for him to see the negatives from that. Remember the buyer doesn't have to give them top dollar in that case. One can imagine that being a fur buyer would be pretty stressful, wondering if you are going to make money when the fur auction starts! :shock:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Nothing bad against dusty at all he is a great guy!! I have set down a few times with him and spent some time in his shed with him talking about several things. In my personal opinion if you are happy with what he gives you then fine. If not pack it up and sell somewhere else. He is in it to make money too!!! I will be selling my furs to NAFA this year to get both and experience and try to get top dollar for my coyotes versus just an average that a fur buyer would give you. Thats just my 2 cents.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

Best of luck to you with that. I think one of these years I want to try NAFA too.

I am going to start prepping furs in the next few days. I want to completely take the cartilage out of the ear rather than splitting the ear. Ever done that? Any tips?