Diet

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Diet

Post by Coyotehunter »

Any questions on your dogs diet.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Diet

Post by LeviM »

What type of dog food are you guys feeding your hunting dogs? I was feeding mine Diamond Natural, then he got the shits and terrible gas, so i switched to Canidae, Its been good so far.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Diamond premium. I had to go through one bag of the premium maintance (out of stock of premium) and they got the shits pretty bad. I think one of them might have something else bothering him however.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

seems some dogs can eat whatever is presented and some not. my yellow lab that i just put down :( could not eat anything other than his dog food or he would get the squirts. my 2 currant dogs, tucker and maxwell are not near as bad . tuck can have moderate scraps withought the shats maxwell could eat a can of bacon grease and the turds are like toostie rolls :shock: all i feed is green bag purina dog chow and have for years. cheap but it works. one time my lab ate some bear paws i had drying in the back yard and i didnt know it. denise and i went to the lake the next day to swim. my lab went to the edge of the water and took a dump. i could see he was having troube. went and inspected and there were bear claws as clean as could be. :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

When it comes to dogs eating some can do some funny things.LOL
When i used to run coon hounds the guy i got the dogs from told me to feed them the cheaper stuff dureing the off season and then when fall was around the corner switch them over to Perina High-pro..Also when doing the switch over i was to do it gradually so not to mess up the dogs digestive track ( squarts)
Table scraps should never be fed to a dog but i know people do it anyway..
I tried giveing meat scraps to one of my bird dogs and he would'nt touch it..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

if things are going well I use Diamond in the green bag. I have tried a few others but will not list them all. I did find with my dogs and how I use them that the high performance dog food in 2 different brands was ineffective on putting on weight and I ended up with hot spots on the hocks of of 2 of my dogs. switched back to adult diamond and problem went away. If in the summer I have trouble getting the dogs to eat (heat) or they just are not able to maintain weight I will add a table spoon or 2 of olive oil to there food to give it a boost.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:if things are going well I use Diamond in the green bag. I have tried a few others but will not list them all. I did find with my dogs and how I use them that the high performance dog food in 2 different brands was ineffective on putting on weight and I ended up with hot spots on the hocks of of 2 of my dogs. switched back to adult diamond and problem went away. If in the summer I have trouble getting the dogs to eat (heat) or they just are not able to maintain weight I will add a table spoon or 2 of olive oil to there food to give it a boost.
I was feeding my springer the same thing, Diamond adult, and after about 2 months he has been getting the shits, about 5-8 times a day and the worse gas I have ever smelled. At first I thought worms, but he gets heart guard with dewormer every month. So I switch and so far so good, but he has a very sensitive stomach. I am hoping to find a dog food with a high performance ingrediants for hunting season.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Levi,
If you had a Lab,he could eat the 'shits',feed 2 dogs for the price of one.Works for me. :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For you guys that have dogs that have been getting the runs. You may want to reduce the amount you are feeding them or split up the feeding times. In other words feed less but do it more often..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Levi are you free feeding or do you have a set amount and time.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

He gets to 2 1/2 cups in the morning usually 6:30 in the morning, and then 2 more cups in evening usually 6:00 Pm. We feed him no more than 4 1/2 cups in a day, he pobably could use some more to gain alittle more weight.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

what does the dog weigh? Just curious, Bear weighs about 60 pounds and gets 3 cups a day of diamond.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I would guess 40 to 50 pounds, average for a springer.

He has a vet appointment this afternoon, he had a rough weekend of consitantly shitting, and nothing solid! I dont think its the dog food anymore. He was doing really well for about 2 weeks and then this weekend it got ugly! :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Never feed my dogs and there has been a bunch, anything more than the Hi Pro at least 27% protein dog food, I am feeding the Hi Pro stuff from Runnings now, about $16 bucks a 40# bag. Nothing fancy here, an occasional red meat treat but that is rare. A scoop a day more if they are working harder or in the extreme cold. Seems to be keeping them in good shape, no shits here.
Randy Roede
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Got him to the vet yesterday and he had a pretty high fever, the vet couldnt find anything major, just fighting a bug he thought, hes on a few antibiotics. He only weighed #40, the vet told me to get him to #50, we will see how that goes. I am feeding him Canidae, chicken and rice, and the vets personal opinion is that this is one of the best dogs out there. Its all natural, and no gains or biproducts.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"