Dorn dogs

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

Dorn dogs

Post by DustyC »

I am considering breeding one of my Dorn females later this summer and I was wondering what you guys thought about crossing with a Mountain Cur? Which leads to the next question of a Mountain Cur located in Wyoming to breed to.
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Dorn dogs

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I think breeding it to a mountain cur would be a good dog for results i know that it has been done before. Let me think about who to breed with i had my female fixed so i can't help you out but might be able to find someone for you.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

there is a good article in the new issue of fur-fish n game about black mouth curs. interesting article. www.americanblackmouthcur.com
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ohh you're looking for a stud i have a male that is showing some promise but he is only about 7 months old right now. My female is fixed. You shouldn't have any problems finding a male that someone would give you for studding.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

DustyC wrote:I am considering breeding one of my Dorn females later this summer and I was wondering what you guys thought about crossing with a Mountain Cur? Which leads to the next question of a Mountain Cur located in Wyoming to breed to.
Got one, Pepper is her name. Very happy.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

heres a picture of 2 of my dogs. The white dog is a Dorn female and the other is my catahoula cross male that I bred her to. The puppies are 8 weeks old and started on the hide. All 3 are showing alot of want to.
GetAttachment[2].jpg
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

where did you get your dorn dog? I believe O'Gorman has the name registered or copy righted. Not sure how they do that with a breed but I got an ear full from a guy who turned in an article about decoy dogs and mentioned that he had dorn dogs. He got a call from the O'Gormans...........anyways just wondering. I had Tim Fish try to sell me a dog last year, he has dorn dogs from O'Gormans and he said that he also had some from Vern that he had gotten years ago. Keep us posted on the pups, pics if you got them. Got homes for all of them yet?
Coyotes Forever
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Dusty,
Do you know what else is in your male? We have catahoulas and a catahoula X BMC, we're still learning what all they are capable of. Good looking dogs, can't beat one that knows what to do from the word go!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I actually got this dog from Tim this spring. Yeah, I don't need an ass chewin but she should be original. No I don't have a home for two of the pups yet but I am going to keep one. I would like to be able to run 2 pair of dogs next spring.My male actually is catahoula crossed with Australian Shepard. I know everyone says this but he is the most amazing dog I have ever been around. He loves my two boys and will protect them with his life. He can work cattle fairly well but his main concern is coyotes. He hates coyotes worse than I do. I'll try and post pictures as soon as I can.
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great pic looks like the dogs know what there job is.

I believe there is some people that have the dorn line through verns kid but i'm not sure how the copyrighted thing goes?

You're the second guy that has ran a Cattalhoula for trapping and told me how well they do. Thats good to hear a good dog is priceless.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I really like the catahoula. they are a pretty versatile breed. i have had them crossed with a blue heeler before and I have also had purebred and registered dogs. They are really trainable with a great nose. These puppies should be ready to go on the trapline later this winter. I can't wait to see what they do withn live coyotes. I will try and get some pictures of them today and post them. If anyones interested in one let me know. I,ld be glad to send my phone # to talk about them.
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

There was one guy here in the state (ND) that was running a cattalhoula when he was up here from down south for a few months. It was unreal what that dog would do to a coyote once it got a hold of it. I've never seen a coyote get that much air in all my life. It's sad to say but I couldn't stop laughing.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

My male is great on late season dens. He'll track puppies for a long ways. He used to just hold them down for me but I think he's getting cranky in his old age and he started killing them. I iked it btter when he just held them because sometimes he would have two in one spot.
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

do you have any good pics of the adults?
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I do but they are stuck on my old camera that I can't seem to get working. Do you just want to see what they look like or do you want action shots? Monday or Tuesday i'm ground crewing for the the county and I want to try and get some video while I have some help. If not video I will get some still picture of them working the coyotes in. (If the coyotes cooperate)
"God hates a coward"