Dorn dogs

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Dorn dogs

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just want to see how the dog looks. side shots...weight, height, length. I no nothing about those catahoula dogs
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

O.K. They are a member of the hound family. They are right there with the Kur. You can look upCatahoulas on the search engine and that shows what registered dogs look like. This male of mine is out of a dog from Montana named Big Skys Coolhand Luke. I don't think that Big Sky is even breeding dogs anymore. They use em in the south alot for hunting wild hogs and they have a great nose. They can also track cats very well and I have known a few guides that ran nothing but catahoulas for lion dogs. But I will take some pictures this morning and post them. The male weighs abot 50# and the Dorn female about 35.
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

catahoula's are a type of cur.
xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

heres somepics I took testerday. I hope they help.
tandp.JPG
tap.JPG
patches.JPG
Shes still a little skinny from th puppies but shes starting to come out of it. I'm a terrible weight guesser on dogs but neither one will go over 50#.
"God hates a coward"
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

I don't post a lot 'cuz we're just getting our feet wet. We have catahoulas, we use them for cattle work, hunting raccoons, and hog hunting when we visit friends in the south. I've hooked up with a local guy who uses Blackmouth Curs for decoying coyotes, and we're going to get out with him in a few weeks hopefully. I'll throw up a couple of pictures just to give an idea of how varied they can be.

This is Ammo. She just turned a year old. 22" tall at the shoulder, weighed 52 lbs yesterday.

Rodeo. He's about 67 lbs, 23.5 inches a catahoula/BMC cross.

These are of Kenzie. She's our lead dog, and will do anything asked. Weighs 47 lbs in working shape (she's pregnant right now... worst time of year to not have her) and is 21 inches at the shoulder.

This is Angus. He's 68 lbs, 24 inches at the shoulder.

I haven't measured any length-ways, but they are supposed to be the same length of body as the height of their shoulder. (Basically a square body looking at a side-profile.) The females can be a bit longer than tall, but males are supposed to be square.

What we have learned the hard way is that the smaller dogs do better on a long day. Angus isn't too big, but his muscle pattern is too bulky and dense... he overheats easier and doesn't recover as quick. I suspect our two girls Kenzie and Ammo will be better decoy dogs because they are closer ranging, and don't often get more than a half mile away. The two boys will range out a long way on a track, and Rodeo will be just as likely to pick a fight with a coyote or coon, as to work something back to you or set it up and bay it.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

My male is crossed with an Australian Shepard and isn't near as big. Nice looking dogs. I have one pupppy that will look alot like a Catahoula in appearance but without the size. I about she'll mature out to be about 35-40 pounds. I wanted to keep and train them some more but my wife says that they need to go. Soo if anyone is interested in trying one let me know by the Thursday.
"God hates a coward"
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i may be interested in a dog. i have never hunted coyotes with a dog but have read a lot about it and sure would like to give it a try.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sharp looking dogs!! that varied grey one barking at the hogs in the pen is really sharp
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Thank you! She is awesome, that's all I can say about her. We haven't found anything that a cur dog is bred for that she won't do, yet. The only thing she doesn't seem to love is water. If she can avoid swimming after something she will, but given no other choice she'll swim like a shark.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The other trapper i met with one also had the shaggier look like DustyC i was unaware that they were a breed of hound that is why i was surprised by trappers using them, but looking at your dogs they look like a cur and perfect for the job.
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

Just to clear up the waters a bit, they aren't a hound. A lot of people mistake them for a hound because there are a few that'll tree like a hound, but they're definitely a cur. Actually they formally changed the name of the breed from Catahoula Cur to Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog in '77 when it became the state dog of Louisiana (rumor has it they didn't want a dog with the word "Cur" in the name as the state dog).
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

O.K well I guess i consider a cur a hound but none the less good looking dogs
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

that Kenzie is the coolest looking dog i've ever seen :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Fargus
coyotehunter

Post by Fargus »

PG,
Gotcha, we get lots of folks who don't bother to differentiate.

Thanks BNB, we think the world of 'er too! Can't wait to get her back in the field where she belongs. :D