Range Finders

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

Re: Range Finders

Post by DustyC »

Just got the Leica 900 today. So far I think it's pretty nice what do you guys think about the durability?
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great product, I have the 1200 and love it. I own the Leupold IV as well and the Lieca is just a better unit. I drag mine with me most days of the week and have never had any problems with it what so ever.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

you can't go wrong with a leica range finder in my opinion! I recently looked through a leupold and was quite impressed on how far they have come along.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

the first RX IV i had was junk but i sent it back and had them send me a new one and it seems to work a lot better.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I got a leupold early this spring. Seems to work good...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If money isn't a big issue there is NOTHING like the Leica Geovid but they run about $2400
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tim Anderson wrote:I got a leupold early this spring. Seems to work good...
I also just got a leupold (RX III) a few weeks ago, works good right now, I will be intrested to see how it works in the North Dakota winters. I wanted a Lieca 1200, but I couldnt swing the money this year.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I had to go look to see what mine is.. Its the RX-IV.. I used mine on a trip in July and it seemed to work well bounceing the lazer off of the hills with grass. The snow is more reflective so it should do fine also.. The Leica i'm sure wouldbe a better choice if a guy had to use them all the time and the shots are going to be long..
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I have the Leica 1200 also. It's a great piece of equipment. I have compared them with the Swarovski range finder and I like the Swaro a bit better, but the leica has a narrower laser so you hit what you're pointing at a bit better.

I do have one down side for the Leica, but it probably would be the same with most all electronic devices when it hits negative digits. Last winter I did some night hunting and I pulled my range finder out between my suit and my inner coat, and I couldn't range a thing. The button had froze up, so I stuck it in the inner shell to warm it up. Lesson learned, the rest of the year it worked great.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Dean, I think it would have worked ok if you would have just kept it in your outer pocket. It must have gotten warm and when you pulled it out in the cold , she froze up. I'm sure you probably know that. I will keep that in mind though. I have a Leica 1200 that is really nice. Haven't used it after dark though.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Yep, I now have a Cabella's neoprene case for it, I just stick one of those hand warmers in there and i'm good to go.

I use it on occasion while night calling, under really good moon and nice snow it works like it does in the day. But typically I don't use it during the night just because they come howling in quicker than I can use it.

If you don't have a neoprene case for the Leica, they had a really good deal when I bought mine, closeout, shipping was more than the cost, it was $0.48 + shipping. But I have the old Leica 1200, the box. I didn't see them on there anymore.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have the Leupold RX-IV and it is either broken or the biggest POS I have ever owned. Right after the NDCC this year I was still out hunting in the area and spotted 3 bedded coyotes on a hill about 1/2 mile out. I put the sneak on them and had it in my pocket and I kept trying to range this knob they were on and it would not pick it up. I was able to range a lone tree at 225 yards or so and I guessed they were 100 yards on the other side of that. Held just at the crest of a bedded ones back and let it go and missed right over the top so they were closer than 325. It was nearly dead calm, I was prone with the bipod down, laying in all that fluffy snow and ROCK steady when the trigger broke.

To my way of thinking, that 500.00 POS certainly should have been able to range not only the actual bedded coyote(I could see its entire body) but at least the hill they were on. They claim that it should read out to 1500 yards under ideal conditions so it should surely get me out to at least 500 yards I would think. I have since gone back to my old NIkon 800 yard model.

I called Leupold and they told me to send it back so thats the plan. If that dont work, Im gonna sell it and get a Leica or something else. That was pathetic IMHO.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

When Leica came out with the new 'HD' geovids,you could(can) buy the 'old' ones new for around $1200.I sold my old(10yr old binocs,3 yr old rangefinder)Swaros and got enough to buy the Geovids.Wow is all I can say.A guy has trouble justifying something like that but I use mine near daily about 9 months a year so....Holy god are they sweet though.In hindsight,should have sold a gun,a dog,a wife or something and done it years ago.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Levi and i were out the other weekend and the snow looked like a lake that only had ice on it so everything was extremely shiny. I have a leica 1200 crf and he has a leupold and neither one of us could range a retarded 5 gallon pail no more than 200 yards off the road. then we made our wat down the road and tried ranging some signs, and mine was reading 627 to 626 and levi's was reading 664 to 666. I have no idea why the ranges were off. Has anyone else tried this to see what each one reads. 40 yards at a long range can easily be a miss or a hit in my opinion.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I had to change some setting on mine, so I wouldnt get your panties in a bunch yet intill we test them again.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"