hunting conditions

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

hunting conditions

Post by bucksnbears »

just wondering what "your" ideal conditions are for coyote/fox hunting.i went for a drive today what seemed to be a good day to ee a few critters and only saw 2 fox , very close to my fur buyers place-1/2 mile :lol: :lol: . any way, got me thinking as to why some days there are lots of animals seen and others you can't buy one. i've gone out on warm,calm sunny days and have seen 30-40+ and some times the same conditions a week or 2 later will yield minimal animals??mfovarite days start with a calm night with 10-30 degree temps with daybreak bringing suuny calm weather. however i like it to cloud up soon after sunup becuase i'm primarally a spot n stalker and a sunny day can throw alot of shadows over a snowwy field. a light north wind will usally set them out on the south facing spots where they will bed down for the duation of the day. this year we've had few good days for spot n stalk due to windyier than normal.this is aimed mostly at you trappers as you guys are out every day and have probally noticed when your catch is good and bad. is there a way to predict when is a good time to go out ??? can you wake up in the morning and kinda tell if your gonna have a good day???. does the moon phase,humitity,temp,barometor seem to have an influance on your catches??.i know there are obvios things like a blizzard,rainstorm,ect. that will shut movement dowd but what about the not so obvios. p.s, the best days are anytime you can get out :wink: :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: hunting conditions

Post by LeviM »

COLD day, No to light snow on the ground with a light wind is that too much to ask for in North Dakota! I also perfer a good cloudy day
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Just in my 2 cents there are a lot of factors that bring forth a good day. To me there is more to it than just a nice day. The factors that personally watch and have noticed through hunting and trapping is fronts. If you watch when your fronts take place (high/low pressures) will dictate some animal movement. I have also noticed that every area is different on when animals move. I have seen it from prefrontal movement to during the front movement or even postfrontal movement. The onyl thing that is consistend to me is the fronts of either snow or cold or a majot temp swing. I use to watch the moon a lot and always complained when it was full moon. I was proved wrong this year at the bremen tournament because we say 27 coyotes in one day of hunting and it was a full moon :shock: If you wanna pick up a pattern on something in certain areas you really nee to start recording the things you mentioned on a daily log like a trapper does. over the period of five or more years you will be able to determine what will be a good time and what will be a unbielivable time. Just remember that with any family member of the latrans group there is no gurantees :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
txhoghunter

Post by txhoghunter »

Chris,
Has anyone told you that you are our hero? :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

listen to this funny guy :lol: First post and he's already harrassing me. Shouldn't you be knifing hogs right now? When you get a chance you should post some pics of the fox in Ireland. I want to see how big these things are. It sounds like they are the size of the coyotes in the dakotas :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
txhoghunter

Post by txhoghunter »

Who me giving you a hard time? :?: :roll: not me never.
I will have to post those pics soon.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

anytime you can get out!!

End of October, good frost, Light breeze...........
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:anytime you can get out!!

End of October, good frost, Light breeze...........
That is Perfect!!!!!

Now Deer hunting is starting up! Yuck, I am not a deer hunter so I get to wait a month!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"