Cleaning stretched fur?

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Cleaning stretched fur?

Post by mitchkvernum »

Hey guys,

I have a question, I have around 20 coyotes stretched and ready to sell, My question is that I have a few that have some blood stain still on them.( I learned my lesson, i need to clean them a bit better ).. But are there any good methods to getting the last bit of blood off my pelts?.. They are off the stretchers and ready to sell... Thanks.

mitch.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Cleaning stretched fur?

Post by lyonch »

Mitch you can wet the area that is full of blood with cold water and just scrub that area of fur. If the leather ends up getting wet, it will end up drying again. If you have access to a old washing machine, i would put the furs in there after they are skun and just run them on a normal cycle with some cheap laundry detergent. When your all done turn them leather side out on the stretcher for 24 to 48 hours depending upon dryness. Turn them fur side out when the leather side is still plyable and re-pin on the stretchers. This way your coyotes will be clean and ready role. Another option is to put the fur in a tumbler right after they are skun and that will beat the blood and dirt out of the hide. Im sure there are other options out there and more people will post on this subjet. Start with the easiest method someone comes up with and finish with the most complicated. Somewhere between A and B you should find a solution :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

You should try to wash your furs before hand, if blood stained. I dont have a wash machine but have a laundry sink I soak them in. (Wife does not like this method) Then once on the strectcher I like to put borax on the shot area. In your case now, I am no expert but I would think you could wash the fur now, use cold water, and once done let it air dry.
Last edited by LeviM on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yep, what they said :) but the amount of coyotes your getting you may want the "large capacity" machine 8)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Ditto to Chris & Levi :D wash them fur side out and I always use horse or dog shampoo and if they are for me to keep and put on the wall, a conditioner to make them shine like never before 8)
a proud member of the "IF" team
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Thanks alot guys
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I want to see some pics of your finished product!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Will do :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Mitch when you are all said and done and sell the pelts, please post who you sold them to and what you got for them. If you are in need of some furbuyers to take your fur to just ask and a lot of us will help you out and get you contact info.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

these guys pretty much covered it all
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Since the furs are already stretched and dried you can take a comb and the wifes old hair dryer and comb the dried blood out and use the dryer at the same time set on hi to fluff the fur back up. If you have a spot with alot of blood holding the hairs together then take and put hairs between finger and thumb and use other hand to work the blood soaked hairs from side to side to break up the dried blood.. Another method is take 3-4 small dia. wooden dolls about 3 ft. long and hold together in one hand tap the blood spot continues. ( simular to an old carpet beater)

The wooden doll method also works well for fluffing the fur when ready to sell..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

rub borax on the blood spot.
Coyotes Forever