1/2 Day Success

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

1/2 Day Success

Post by Optimax90 »

Well friday was just to nice of a day to work :) so we headed out hunting. It was noon when I hooked up with my hunting partner "cooper" :wink: We headed to a spot that has been good in the past. Got into stand, over looking a huge flat with a creek bottom in it. After about 3-4 series on the rabbit distress, I picked up a pair of yotes out there a good mile. They were hanging out with little intrest :? Then there was another one within 100 yards of them, he seemed to be alert to the calling. After a few more rabbit ditress calls ( with nothing) I howled a couple of times and the alert one seem to be coming. Then another one apeared much closer with the look of intrest. After a few rabbit distress calles and a couple more howls, he just wasn't coming in no way no how :? He headed south and was working a creek bottom going away from us, we repositioned on the hill and ranged him at just a little under 700yrds. (leica rangefinder of course) He was out in a huge flat with little cover so I dialed him in and as soon as he stopped I let one fly, just high!! He wheeled and headed back to the creek bottom, we agreed if he stopped again to let him have it (he wasn't sure where the shot came from, so he wasn't running fast) I dialed back one click and barked at him, he hit the breaks and looked back, put the cross hairs on his mellon and fired, down he went :D 8) Dead coyote @685 yards, according to two leica rangefinder... Big male with good fur, nice and grey :) Got him right through the ears with no pelt damage, I think I will keep this guy makes a good story.

After a long walk back to the truck, we hit another stand that has been good. After a full series of rabbit distress I gave a couple of howls, right after the second howl, I look "coopers" direction and there is a coyote right to his left @ 75yards. I give him a lip squeek and a motion to his left, he turns slowly and spots her. She starts to turn a walk away, he swing the .22-250AI and she stops and looks at him "click" went the safty and thats the last thing she heard. Bang flop :lol: I just love this shit!!!!

We made two more stands, one produced nothing but pheasants and grouse. And the other stand was a good one, a place that I always see coyotes. This time all we seen was guys driving around the feilds looking to kill a deer (muzzel loader season) from there trucks :lol: :lol: Good luck with that...... Good day, considering we started at noon,and the sun goes down so early. I will try to post pics as soon as I get them :)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: 1/2 Day Success

Post by Dcoy »

Cool,congrats!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Thanks Dcoy :) Hey that was one hell of a nice buck you shot, way to go :)
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

685 YDS !!!!

How in the hell can you hit sumtin sooooo FAR away !!!!

U got special boolits or somthing..
Krylon is my camo
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

22-250AI wrote:685 YDS !!!!

How in the hell can you hit sumtin sooooo FAR away !!!!

U got special boolits or somthing..

A realy good buddy of mine gave me the tools to learn about reloading.

Then gave me the name of a great gun plumber.

Then talked me into .22-250 Ackley Improved w/1-8 twist so I could shoot the 75gr. A-MAX.

And the rest is proof in the coyotes I put in the truck :D