4 wheelers and coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

country_guy9734
coyotehunter

4 wheelers and coyotes

Post by country_guy9734 »

hello everybody, i am new to this site and new to coyote hunting. i have a electronig caller, a couple handcalls and most all of the gear. im heading out to the south carolina midlands this weekend. i am wondering how much of an impact 4 wheelers have on yotes. what would be a good park and walk distance? quarter mile? half mile? if they hear the 4 wheeler do you think the yote will still respond to a call? all of your input would be very helpful!
EO caller

Re: 4 wheelers and coyotes

Post by EO caller »

Probly depends on how much fourwheeler traffic there use to. I hunt from mine all the time and have success. walking distance is relative to how hard the wind is blowing for me. If I've got a hard wind a guy doesn't have to park to far away but if its still you'll have to hike a bit more. Just as long as its out of site. Good luck and welcome.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i don't think they will be to spooked of the noise but i would still get aways in before calling.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

A lot of guys use them successfully when hunting large tracts of ground. You can get way back in there where they feel secure but i would still make sure that it's hidden and walk no less than 200yds away. Also keep in mind the noise level don't go running around at 40 mph just plug along keeping the rpms and engine rev down.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
country_guy9734
coyotehunter

i have 6,000 acres in richburge SC so a 4 wheeler is a must! i also have a stealth exhaust system so maybe that will help me sneak in even better
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

I would have to say weather dependant, as to how far to walk form the wheeler before calling. I have shot a few yotes on a bait pile with the wheeler still running. Pull up to the shack open the door look out, see one on the pile go back to wheeler uncase gun/load; shoot. Those days are few and far between but it does happen.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

6,000 acres is a good chunck of property but there is properties of the western US that are 25,000 acres and a four wheeler can really pay off in those instances. It just mattters on how you ride them and where you need to be
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
country_guy9734
coyotehunter

it is one of the biggest continous tracks of land in SC owned by a hunt club. im limited to power lines,cutovers and thick pines. hopefully i will have some pics to post sunday night :D
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

make sure the wind is in your face at all times it will help with the sound
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I have hunted a lot from 4-wheeler. Stay lower in the bottom of ravines and into the wind. Idle along as much as possible. They work pretty good in large tracts of land.