Ki-Yi

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Nodak72
coyotehunter

Ki-Yi

Post by Nodak72 »

I am trying to use some different distress sound's besides just A distressed rabbit, and I was wondering if the Ki-Yi (or, Hurt pup) will be effective this time of year and in January! And, if it is effective does it work with other distress sounds,or should it be used alone?
thanks,Nodak
EO caller

Re: Ki-Yi

Post by EO caller »

Here's somthing that I have used and it does real good in places were there has been calling pressure. I'll do distress off and on for about five to ten minutes then give it a rest for a couple minutes and then do a little ki yi but not like a pup in distress. More like a dog in pursuit. Short little yipes like a coyote running and chasing a rabbit or deer. We have border collies that are cow biting machines and when they are in pursuit of said cow they make that sound and so do coyotes. So the coyote your calling at may calm his senses a bit thinking there's another dog there. I've had hanger upers come flogging in when I've used this method. Hope it helps.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Dont forget a fawn distress call, the sound of a big easy meal always gets their blood pumping.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

EO caller if you read Major Boddickers book talking to coyotes with the songdog he talks about that sound as the "hunting call". It can be a very effective sound
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

yeah I've used it alot, My uncle taught me that. :idea: It makes alot of sense.
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

Thank's for the answers to this thread! And, yes we have A little more calling pressure than we are use too! There are getting to be A lot of E callers around and poeple feel they are easier to use ,so every one has one! Except for me, I refuse to buy one, not because I don't think they don't work (I know they work Ive seen them in action)! but, because I like the satisfaction of calling them in with A hand call! I will get out and try that Ki-Yi that you described EO caller (as soon as I get this christmas crap out of the way! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)
Thanks, Nodak
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

You bet Nodak, its a good way to mix it up. :D I'm the same way when it comes to e callers. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Major Boddiker has a tape you can buy for $10 that does a real good job covering off to make the hunting call plus a bunch of other coyote vocalizations.

Do you have this in your store Jamie?
Coyotes Forever