Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Post by Coyotehunter »

you can use it inside and out. works good for cleaning the fur (just rub in then shake out) and shake a light coat on the hide to help dry and reduce the chance of slipping.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:you can use it inside and out. works good for cleaning the fur (just rub in then shake out) and shake a light coat on the hide to help dry and reduce the chance of slipping.
Very good tip, I also use it on the fur side.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

When I use the Borax I just use what little is needed on the bullet holes. Reason for this is it pisses off the guy at the tannery. ( Borax weakens the tanning solution)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well, you got to vaccumm and/or blow off real good with a air hose. I guess I have never heard that it effected the tanning solution. those hides are all tumbled prior to tanning. just can not imagine there is any of it left after coming out of those big commercial tumblers. I know long line trappers that go through boxes and boxes of that stuff a year.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes you are right there are alot of guys useing the stuff. A couple friends of mine recondmended i bring some along when i went to AZ to hunt so the hide would'nt spoil.. I was'nt sure about how the stuff works so i asked my Taxidermist. He uses it mainly for mounting birds and also around bullet holes on larger animals.. He also stated i could use it on the whole hide but said its not needed and also told me about what happens at a tannery. Its not that big of a deal they just have to change solutions more often or rinse it a few times before it goes into the tanning solution..
I took the floor matt outside the other day from my fur room to clean and it took forever to get the soap out..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

A decent tannery should be rinsing the pelts before adding them to the solution i would find a new tannery. I've packaged and handled thousands of hides going to tannerys and a good percentage had borax on them. It's no different than the salt that all the taxidermists use to dry the hides they need to be rinsed before anything once received.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

things may be turning for the better :D just got back from the fur shed and i got 10$ for carcass coyotes and 10$ for carcass fox. 20$ for badger. not great money but at least i got a couple tanks of gas. you that put up your fur may be pleasantly suprised if its nice :) should'nt have given all my other stuff away :( :(
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucksnbears wrote:things may be turning for the better :D just got back from the fur shed and i got 10$ for carcass coyotes and 10$ for carcass fox. 20$ for badger. not great money but at least i got a couple tanks of gas. you that put up your fur may be pleasantly suprised if its nice :) should'nt have given all my other stuff away :( :(

Bucks freeze it and give it away to me. We can always negotiate a beer or two in the price :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

bucksnbears wrote:things may be turning for the better :D just got back from the fur shed and i got 10$ for carcass coyotes and 10$ for carcass fox. 20$ for badger. not great money but at least i got a couple tanks of gas. you that put up your fur may be pleasantly suprised if its nice :) should'nt have given all my other stuff away :( :(
Nice--I just started putting up my fur that I have taken so far. I only have three stretchers so I will start Round 2 tomorrow night!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Fallguy you might want to sell them sooner than later. I talked with Dusty last night and he has a order to fill for western north dakota/montana dogs. He said he is going to pay a little more for these dogs to fill this order because of what the guy is asking for. Just a heads up because when the order is full it is gone from my understanding.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

Any idea on the size of this order? Now he will still be buying after that right?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i have no idea on the size order, but he did just buy a large amount of coyotes from a tournament in north dakota. i would assume only 20% or less of this total will make it to the order he needs to fill. Dusty is always buying fur, but he is hoping that when this order is full the rest of the fur industry will be better than years past. I am selling my trapped critters tomorrow and can see if i can more info then.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Yeah let us know what you get. Since I only have three stretchers it's gonna be three more rounds of putting up before I get my ones in the freezer put up. So a week and a half at best before I can go sell. Hope to add to that total in the meantime though. :wink:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I sold some furs last friday to Dusty. This is how it all went.

6 skunks - just pelts no glands = $30.00

20 coon - mainly xl coon only = $250.00

6 coyotes - All montana coyotes = $115.00 (1-$35, 1-$30, 2-$20, 2-$5)

1 fox - nice color and prime = $15

Total = $410.00

The two coyotes that were at 5 bucks had one that was rubbed really bad and had hardly any guard hairs left, but had some unique colors to it. The other coyote at 5 bucks was a beutiful heavy furred male that had a sore on his hip when i skun him and it stunk really bad and of course the hair slipped in that spot about the size of a silver dollar and that took that coyote from a 30-35 dollar dog to 5 :evil: There was nothing i could do about it. All of my coon were quite small this year and i will be moving my line next year to allow some growth to happen in my area.
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

Thanks for the update things are looking better than last year anyway. I am still putting up my fur take to date and I can't wait to get down there to sell.