Howling for coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Re: Howling for coyotes

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

This is just my opion , but I think you might have played too many sequences and different sounds over a short time. You mentioned being there for 45min which is fine but Maybe you played too many different sounds at them. Somthing that I never do is challenge a coyote if he has not challenged me. That is somthing I just do, but to throw all though different things at them may have been way too much in my thoughts. This is one reason I do not like e-callers. Way too many sound files . Your simple mouth calls you can have instant feedback when the time comes and you don't have to fiddle around and try to find the right sound when the need arises. It wouldn't be right to set here and tell you what you should have done. I can only talk about things that have happened to me personally and that is what I base my thoughts on. Some people say keep throwing different sounds at them until finally they commit to that sound. I have done that and it does work some of the time, but I still think the most important key is don't throw too many sounds at them all in a small amount of time. I still maintane lots of time in between and not much sound. I know it can be frustrating some times. Maybe in some instances it might be better to quietly leave and come back another time. If somebody tells you they have this game figured out , take his word lightly. What works in one area may not work in another area, so what I am telling you , just keep that in the back of your mind. Maybe someone else can shed a little light on this subject. You know the coyote is a majestic animal, and I guess that is why I love to hunt them soo much. They can be soo stupid sometimes and so cunning at other times.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Your right Jerry, I wish no one around here would use an ecaller. If all I had to deal with is mouth called coyotes that escaped my life would be much easier :lol: Can't teach old dogs new tricks!! Hey I'm an old dog, what happened there!!!

Give me a holler ole fart, tell Paula Hi
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Like Jerry said try not to throw too much at them at one time.. Don't get aggressive unless they do first..
Example: I was out the other nite calling had a pair come in around the 20 minute mark but locked up on me about 300 yds out or more.. I was just useing howls to bring them in at first and when they locked up i went to just a mouse distress. They still would'nt move so then i gave them a terr. howl thinking i could pick a fight or get the bigger of the two to come a little closer...
The smaller coyote of the two took off in the same direction it came from and the larger coyote stuck around but still would'nt commit... I was on stand for about 45 min. and starting to get really cold so i took the long shot and missed right over the top of the coyote.. I also had another coyote a few nites before that i also lost due to being to aggressive.. I have fewer coyotes here and they are not willing to defend their terr. so my calling from now on willbe less aggressive till i can figure them out more..