Foothold trap for coons

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Foothold trap for coons

Post by 1Shooter »

I was able to pick up 1/2 dozen traps this weekend as payment for helping to shear some sheep. 5 of them are Victors and one is a Blake & Lamb. There are three #1s (2 victor and 1 Blake & Lamb), two that look like they're probably about a 1.75 or so, and one #4 Victor jump trap. Would you guys ever use a #1 for coons? The springs are still pretty strong on all of them.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Foothold trap for coons

Post by lyonch »

Victor traps for some reason have a #1 longspring and a #1 coil spring trap. If you could clarify which traps are what coil versus long spring, it will make for some quicker determination.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Oh sorry, they're all single longspring with the exception of the #4 jumper.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Since they are longspring, i would have to say a definite no on the coon. If they were coils, you would have stood a chance with some slight modifications in my opinion. These traps were designed for mink, muskrat, possum, and skunk sized animals. The number 4 is used in the taking of beaver, coyote, and possibly wolf if the trap is set up right. You need to check you local trapping laws to make sure the jaw spread on the number is not too bog to use on land. Sometimes they limit you and sometimes they don't. A submerged trap on the other hand can be any size in minnesota, but only if 100% submerged. I would take those traps (since your in south dakota) and make a few muskrat floats. If you need info on these pm me and i can send you a link to numerous ideas and how to's on muskrat floats. quick, easy, and great for a first time trapper.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Why would you suggest not using the single longspring traps for coons? Just curious.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

simply not enough holding power. I'm sure it can be done, but it's not the proper tool to use when trapping coon. It would be like trying to trap a coyote with a #1.5 it just doesn't seem to be quite enough. If you got some #11 newhouse longsprings, they are very common longspring trap that is used by a lot of coon trappers.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

You can try them, and see how they work for you, but chris mentioned before its not the right tool for the job. It might be good experience for you though, some trial and error.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I'll probably give it a try and if they don't work very well for coon I'll just use them for muskrats. I weigh 160 lbs. or so and even with my knee or a foot on the spring they're actually hard for me to compress, so I have a tough time imagining they wouldn't hold a coon. Just have to wait and see I guess :wink:
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

1shooter the #1 long spring will not hold a coon, you can mod. it by taking the long spring from one and add it to the other to make it a double long spring #1 and that would help and the second spring will ride up on the jaws and help a bit .... NOT the best!! but do with what you have :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

A #1 double coil will hold a coon easily. Caught quite a few in #1 Northwoods over the years. The #1 can also be set in a way to be virtually "pet proof" too.

A NEW #1 single long, with a strong spring, would probably hold.....maybe 50-75% of the coon out there. Provided their not in there very long. A big old boar would really give it a run for its money though. Id opt for a #11 if you want to use longs or a 1.5 coil, which would be an even better choice.

They have a tough time getting in there to chew toes off too. The big drawback is a small "kill zone" with #1's.

#1 Northwoods was an AWESOME mink trap!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the biggest thing with coon for me is the number of swivels, how close to objects for them to grab onto, length of checks and are you using drowners. Holding them is not as big of an issue as is wring outs and chew outs. a small trap with lots of swivels and good lamenation, will be more effective then a bigger trap with shear jaws and no lamination. I think the #1 single long spring is not a very good choice. if on a drowner you may get a way with it with smaller coon but really not a good trap for coon.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Not a good choice if you set them be prepared to be dissapointed.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
trapper444
coyotehunter

Post by trapper444 »

those No 1's will dissapoint ya for coon better get a No11 or 1.5 CS i tried what you are getting ready to do & i was sick i done it