Coyote locater or group howls

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Coyote locater or group howls

Post by Tim Anderson »

I know these sounds are used for locateing coyotes and from time to time one will come in to it but do any of you actually use it to call in coyotes????
Last edited by Tim Anderson on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EO caller

Re: Coyote locater or group howls

Post by EO caller »

I think that the den hunters use howling alot to bring them in. I was with a govnt. trapper above a den and he just started howling with his voice and here come the puppies out of the hole, his dog got ahold of one and it started to ki-yi and all the adults showed up and we killed two or three of them. I was pretty young can't remember the whole set up but it happened in about four minutes.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
BringOnTheHunt

Post by BringOnTheHunt »

I usually use the locator howls to start off with, its usually to let the other coyotes know that theres another coyote around. Then I wait about 3-5 minutes and go to a challenge howl or a female invitation howl and thats what will usually bring them in. I went out last night around 9:30 and did a couple locator howls then a female invitation howl and had a male coyote come in without evening howling back or anything. Locator howls are usually just to let coyotes know theres one around or to try to get them to howl back so you know where they are.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Only when levi is trying to play the circuis when on stand :lol: :lol: :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch wrote:Only when levi is trying to play the circuis when on stand :lol: :lol: :wink:
You laugh, but I believe you shot one, so your welcome!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Yes i did shoot one and thank you!! The curiousity killed the coyote not the sound :wink: I bet he was thinking what kind of polka song and dance is that :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

lyonch wrote:Yes i did shoot one and thank you!! The curiousity killed the coyote not the sound :wink: I bet he was thinking what kind of polka song and dance is that :lol: :lol:
You dont worry about what song and dance I play, you just be ready! You never know when I will pull alittle magic out!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Are you calling a long drawn out "interogation howl", "lone howl" or the other 15 names for it a "coyote locator" ? I use the Group howls for locating only. I use the "interogation howl" in the spring and summer to start thing off and off and on in the late winter.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some callers are useing what they call a locater howl, not sure what it is. I think its on a f-p caller. And there is another bunch that are useing the group howls for calling..
I use the group howls also for just locateing and not sure why anyone would use it to call coyotes in..
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

durring the summer a group howl is a great sound!!! It is an invasive sound of other coyotes moving in, I like the higher pitched ones and it does work for calling in agressive coyotes, mixed in with some fawn distress it can make some coyotes come a runnin.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Tim,
You likely have one on your WT that works.At least in NoDak it does.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use the group howl for locating but not on stand. late winter through out the spring and summer a long howl seems to work for me. As the stand progresses I will let the coyotes kind of dictate what happens. I have a plan when I leave the truck but it is pretty fluid. If I howl once and 4 come running off the top of the ridge at me my response will be different than if one shows up at 800 yards and sits down. Distress sounds in the fall and winter, vocalizations in the spring and summer. With a lot of change ups when the situation dictates it.
Coyotes Forever