Ipswich SD area?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

cb186
coyotehunter

Ipswich SD area?

Post by cb186 »

I might possibly have a bunch of land i can hunt near Ipswich(15 miles north, actually), and am assuming it should be atleast 1 million times better than Mn, but just figured i'd check and get someones consensus of the coyote hunting in the area.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Re: Ipswich SD area?

Post by 1Shooter »

Well, I live down by Brookings, and I'll tell ya what I've heard and what I've experienced. I've been told that there are a decent number of coyotes around Brookings. I've heard coyotes out howling at night and have cut a decent number of tracks in the last 2 weeks. I have also been told that calling is tough in this area. I know for a fact that there are guys around here that drive around and shoot a .22 into the sloughs and wait for something to pop out the other end. 2 weeks ago I walked into a spot where another guy was calling (granted all I hunt here is public land). I've been told by a couple people that hunting along the Big Sioux River is supposed to be really good. West-river calling, especially along the Missouri River (from my experience) is great! Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth and good luck!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

There are some good areas all over the East side of the state. You just need to do a little leg work in finding them.. Some areas get hit by the local pick-up cowboys but there are still coyotes around.. You need to look for areas that are big and hard to get into with a pick-up's..
Anywhere around lakes and big sloughs is also good. Since S.D got alot of snow this year i bet there are alot of coyotes around that have'nt seen a whole lot of pressure unless they are being run with snowmobiles.. I've been around Ipswich a little doing a drive through looking for sign and hunting pressure, there are some coyotes around..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

best thing to do is pick a couple of nights and get on the siren. cover some ground and see what you can get to howl at you. Not all coyotes will howl, so if you get a few to howl you can bet about another 1/3 did not, its a place to start. some nights no one will howl so it may take a few different times to do it. May and June are a great time of year to locate.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I would rate the area as fair.You are pretty close to Aberdeen(lots of pred hunters)so what Tim said is very true.If a pickup can get there-many have been there.Sounds like you have private land and that may help as a start.Its pheasant country and its not NoDak so you can't assume you have permission,whether its posted or not.Most,not all by far there,will give you permission for coyotes but better ask.Odds are good most yotes in that area have heard a call or two so I'd assume you're dealing with educated yotes and approach/set up etc accordingly.