H&R Ultra Varmint?

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wvhunter

H&R Ultra Varmint?

Post by wvhunter »

I been looking at the H&R Ultra Varmint for coyote hunting, would the .204 ruger be a good gun for yotes? Any of your suggestions will be appreciated. :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: H&R Ultra Varmint?

Post by lyonch »

Here is brief discussion that was done on the .204 ruger.

http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... hilit=.204

In my personal opinion, the .204 is not the right caliber for coyotes. This can be a very debatable topic though. There are a couple of forum members that shoot the .17 caliber at coyotes and seem to do just fine. As is goes with every gun, your shot placement is key. I have seen coyotes run off after getting wacked with a .243. If you are just getting into this sport, i personally would recommend going with a bigger caliber to allow for a more forgiving shot. Just my 2 cents about it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The 204 with a 39 gr. blitz, or a 50 gr. berger would work fine on a coyote. As for the H&R if its a single shot there are better choices...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

shoot whatever your comfortable with or whatever caliber you like. A .204 to me is alittle light for me, but thats just my personal opinion, alot of people like them.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Don't run out and blow a bunch of money on a coyote rifle until you have a few under your belt and know that it's something you're going to continue doing. If you have a deer rifle use it the fur isn't worth much especially down your way. What is your average shot distance going to be?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!