22 mag for coyotes

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
sniper81
coyotehunter

22 mag for coyotes

Post by sniper81 »

yeah i know its been drug through the mud but this is all i have and all im going to use for coyotes this summer and winter was wondering what ammo u guys use and how far u sight urs in at i want to be able to shoot from pointblank at to 100yds figure 100yds is the limit with the mag any info would be great
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: 22 mag for coyotes

Post by bucksnbears »

i.ve shot a few with 40 grain winchesters.sighted in at 75 yards. shot placement is critical. not a great coyote round imo.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

my opinon no. They are tough critters. I dont want discourage you, give it a try and see what comes of it, start saving some coin and get a good set up when your ready.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

22 mag has enough power to do the job, but shot placement is everything with this round. Personally i would take head shots only with this round. This way they are either dead right there or gone like the wind. As mentioned earlier, if your going to shoot out to 100 yards, i would sight it in for 75. If you can get the coyotes to some into 60 yards or less, i would rather use a shotgun with a good load/choke combo. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

40 gr. at least...............I have shot a few coyotes with mine. I do think you could strich it out to that 125-150 yard range with good placement. It will not anchor them right on the spot but a good lung shot and he will go down for you.
Coyotes Forever
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

I think the .22 Mag will serve you just fine. I have on a few occasions killed coyotes with a .17 HMR (all around 50 yard shots), but that is only a 17 grain round. Shot placement will be critical at the longer distances, but as sportsman we should always strive for a humane kill. I think 125 yards should be your cutoff though.
Best of luck, Show em no mercy!