Tumblers

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Tumblers

Post by 1Shooter »

Who here tumbles their cases before reloading? Why or why not?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Tumblers

Post by xdeano »

I tumble my 22-250 brass with corn cob media. But my match brass I use 0000 steel wool to clean the carbon off, because I don' t want my necks dinged up. It's a good way to keep everything clean.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i use a tumbler with corncob media as well. when i'm done, i use an air compressor to blow out the primer pockets. media can get stuck in there.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:i use a tumbler with corncob media as well. when i'm done, i use an air compressor to blow out the primer pockets. media can get stuck in there.
Slick!!! :D I like that idea, of course I can hear the jokes starting already about "blowing my brass" :lol: :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I don't bother with it unless I have some brass that is really getting dirty. Very seldom do I use one anymore.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Coyotehunter wrote:I don't bother with it unless I have some brass that is really getting dirty. Very seldom do I use one anymore.
correct, i don't really think it nessesry to tumble brass but at the end of the day, i have brass all over the floor,dash, and it gets quite gritty. if you take better care of your brass, it really is'nt needed.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I guess I like the fact of having clean cases. You can also see when your brass starts to fail, cracks in the neck / shoulder..........
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Optimax90 wrote:I guess I like the fact of having clean cases. You can also see when your brass starts to fail, cracks in the neck / shoulder..........
good point!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Optimax90 wrote:I guess I like the fact of having clean cases. You can also see when your brass starts to fail, cracks in the neck / shoulder..........
I agree, I also use mine to get that crappy lube off my cases, so its not collecting dirt and grime, then going into my gun. I tumble all my brass an hour before I resize so I dont damage my dies with the dirt and grime, and then I tumble an hour after to get the lube off.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Yep. Resize then tumble.... Sucks cleaning primer pockets, but i like geting the lube off and haveing fresh smooth cases for dumping powder and seating bullets..

I usally start it before I go to bed and let them run all night. Six / Seven hours makes them babies shine :D

Don't know whats better but I like tuff nut beter than corn cob..........
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I was told that corn cob media is better for soaking up lube off of the cases.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Cool!! Maybe I will give that a try.....

The tuff nut works great, they come out shiny and smooth. Almost slippery smooth.......

I know that the tuff nut gets dirty fast with lube all over the cases, but I figured that was just the way it was.........
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I tumble every time. Once before I reload( Usually overnight to get them super-clean) to get and grit or anything that will scratch my dies( I use Forester micrometer dies and they're somewhat spendy to replace if damaged) and also so I can catch any split necks or case defects or any other defectss and then I tumble again after the resizing stage to get the lube off.
Its a litte extra work but hell of a lot less than polishing by hand unless like Xdeano said, its high grade match brass(lapua) but most of my "hunting grade" brass is Winchester stuff so not a big deal. To me anyway.

Later fellas, :D

Jaybic
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

good grief I might have to start tumbling my brass again. good posts guys.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use a tumbler to clean the brass or I should say to get the case lube off, not to concerned about how clean brass is just want the sizeing lube off. I use the corn cobb media for this. My tumbler has a little spout at the bottom and i just open it up to drain out the media and then let it run a little longer with just the brass in it to help clean out the primer pockets. I will then check the primer pockets on each case and clean out with a dental pick if needed..