Tumblers

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Tumblers

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use a tumbler to clean the brass or I should say to get the case lube off, not to concerned about how clean brass is just want the sizeing lube off. I use the corn cobb media for this. My tumbler has a little spout at the bottom and i just open it up to drain out the media and then let it run a little longer with just the brass in it to help clean out the primer pockets. I will then check the primer pockets on each case and clean out with a dental pick if needed..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i don't think mine has a drain spout but will check. sucks to dump media outta a bunch of .22 cal. cases. after tumbling, i wash mine in a bowl of hot soapy water for a while. i have a piece of 1x8 board with abunch of headless nails pounded in it. i but the cases over the nails and let sit till dry. the cases should have been de-primed before this step or water can stay in the case even upside down for a day (air locked) than i take the board down stairs and blow out all the primer pockets with an air compressor. probably more than needed but they come out nice and clean and defects are easier to see.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I actually wear a pair of white cotton gloves, when I pull the case out of the sizing die, just wipe the case off real quick. I buy the gloves at the feed store and they are a $1 a pair. also work great as a liner inside your mittens.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:I actually wear a pair of white cotton gloves, when I pull the case out of the sizing die, just wipe the case off real quick. I buy the gloves at the feed store and they are a $1 a pair. also work great as a liner inside your mittens.
great tip!!! :D Never thought of that
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I tumble my cases prior to resizing to keep my dies clean and grit free. Never thought of tumbling again to get the lube off, however, I might have to do that now.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
REDTAIL
coyotehunter

Post by REDTAIL »

I use Corncob or at times Walnut Shells & yes for the last 30 years I still tumble my loaded Rounds for a short time to get them clean & never ever any problems of them effecting accuracy at ll.? " if it's not broke.?"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

really need to tumble the AR brass
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep when I had my AR that was priority #1 to polish the brass. Not so much for summer use but come low temp. time there can be issues if not clean..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the damn thing jams pretty quick with dirty brass. I shine them up like a new penny now. pretty impressed with the AR in the fun factor but way more shit to go wrong.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You ever see a picture of Cal T. AR after it blew up??? Glad I don't have to worry about that now..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

He told me about it but never seen a pic. Not sure what he did that created that situation. He didn't have much of an explanation for the malfunction.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yeah I don't think he ever figured out what caused it.. I don't think there was one piece worth salvaging on the gun, it pretty much destroyed itself.. And Cal was dam lucky he didn't get hurt..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

must have been something stuck in the barrel....i am not sure what else would do it.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yep I was thinking same thing. perhaps fired a round with out powder to lodge a bullet in barrel.