Minaska E-caller

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

CoyoteCrazy
coyotehunter

Minaska E-caller

Post by CoyoteCrazy »

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site. Just wanted to get some opinions on a used Minaska Ultimate One caller that I just recently purchased from an individual over the internet. The problem I'm having is that when I'm on my first stand everything works great, but usually my second stand the caller starts to cut out when I'm turning the volume up! After a while I can get it to come back on but as before when I start to turn the volume up it will cut out again. Then I lose remote range also. I'm hoping it's just a battery issue! I've charged it several times overnight and it still does the same thing. It's good for one stand but after that it usually starts acting up. I'm probably going to purchase a new battery, but just wanted to see if anybody had a different suggestion?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Minaska E-caller

Post by bucksnbears »

sounds like a battery problem
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Make sure you are using lithiam NiHM rechargable batteries, you need to be using batteries with enough juice to run that caller.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
CoyoteCrazy
coyotehunter

Post by CoyoteCrazy »

Levi, thanks for the battery info. The caller has a larger, single battery inside it. I think they call them gel cell batteries. Can it be switched over to the type you mentioned, easily? Remote runs on a 9v and I just put a new one in that!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

CoyoteCrazy wrote:Levi, thanks for the battery info. The caller has a larger, single battery inside it. I think they call them gel cell batteries. Can it be switched over to the type you mentioned, easily? Remote runs on a 9v and I just put a new one in that!
I am not sure if it can be converted or not. You might want to call Minaska callers and see what they recommend for batteries. I know if I put standard batteries in my foxpro, I will only get a 1/4 of a stand in before they are dead.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

It sounds like the Gell battery is the problem.. I had mine replaced by Minaska with a replacement and still had the problem so i went to a place in Mankato called the battery shop.. They set me up with a replacement and it has worked ever since.. Just remember to keep youre new battery charged up every two months...
CoyoteCrazy
coyotehunter

Post by CoyoteCrazy »

I did some research and found a conversion kit that allows you to run the caller on 10 AA batteries. I ordered that along with some new Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable NiMh batteries. Sounds like the Eneloops are getting great reviews so maybe this will be a better setup than the Gel cell battery. I hope so! Nothing worse than being out and having equipment failure. Thanks for all the info, and if you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Let us know how it works out, I am curious about the conversion kit
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Minaska was suppose to come out with a converion kit but they never sent me one like they said they would.. I don't think the rechargeables are going to keep as good of a charge as the gell cell battery and may drain faster.. But let us know how it works out..
CoyoteCrazy
coyotehunter

Post by CoyoteCrazy »

Just wanted to let you guys know I received my kit for converting my U1 over to AA batteries! It cost me $9.99 + shipping(roughly 5 bucks) and it seems to be a pretty sweet little setup! It comes with the same spade male connectors as the 12v sla battery and I can easily change back and forth from the two types of batteries. I figure I'll try to get in the habit of carrying both to the field and if one acts up I can just pull and replace with the other. I decided to try the Sanyo Eneloops that are rechargeable and that's where most of the cost came in, but if they're as good as the reviews say then it will be worth it in my opinion. They say they will hold a good charge and can be recharged over a thousand times, we'll see! Anyway, if you guys hunt with a Minaska the conversion can be bought on their site minaskaoutdoors.com.
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

I would suggest selling the minaska and getting a Foxpro!!!!!!! HaHa