PRO-CONS ABOUT CALLS

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wNyOte29
coyotehunter

PRO-CONS ABOUT CALLS

Post by wNyOte29 »

Whats up guys !!!!!

ok so I would like to know what you guys think about the selection of coyote calls out there { non electronic } like quality {what you look for in quality}, what ones sound good , plastic calls vs wood calls { an old timer told me wooden calls sound better ? } do care if there made in the USA ?? is there a call you wish they made ?? & what you HATE about coyote calls { like i hate when they freeze up grrrr } i will explain in a later post about why I'm asking these questions.

I would greatly appreciate your input on this you don't have to answer all the questions
EO caller

Re: PRO-CONS ABOUT CALLS

Post by EO caller »

Can't tell you much about e callers, but I have both plastic and wooden mouth calls and I've had luck with all of them. All the howlers I use have wooden barrels and I like the sound of them better than the plastic but I've called in lots of coyotes with my Lil Dog. It really doesn't matter these days all the calls out there are pretty comperable it just boils down to price and personal preference. My favorite howler of all time is a diaghram though. I've had more response to that than anything else. There just a litlle harder to master.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

If your having problem with calls freezing up switch to an open read call, I like critter call, song dog, lil dog, nothing special! Check out all the call on the online store those are all good quality calls. Once you select one practice
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Everyone blows on a call differently with that being said some may work well for some and not for others.. But if you have a group of guys trying the same call and it works well for all of them or majority then its a good call... For open reed calls some guys like the big wide tone boards, i don't.. I prefer the short and narrow or long and narrow tone boards.. I don't use the CTR. calls very much but they are a good call. Randy Anderson Hotdog is good if you get the tone board modified.. I have a pretty good collection of open and closed reed calls, some store bought and some cutom built.. The custom calls are simular to the store bought some work great and some don't, so just because its made by a custom call maker dose'nt mean its a good call..
Most closed reed calls are pretty much the same with a few exceptions on the custom ones.
I like the Wiley one calls by Jerry H., E.L.K. products calls, Burham Bro.s,, scerry calls, Rich Cronk,, Arkyyoter just to name a few...

Here are a few from my collection:
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Thats pretty damn impressive Tim. I had to show your pics to my wife so I could say "SEE, I'M NOT THAT BAD". :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Tim Anderson wrote:
Here are a few from my collection:
And I thought my box o' calls was bad!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

LOL's guys..
Most of the calls on the shelf were bought when i first got into calling Redfox.. At the time the Reds were really picky of the sound to use to call them in so i just kept at it till i found the call with the right pitch.. It turned out that the Burham Bro. call the c-3 i believe was the model ,was the call to use after a few mod.'s.. They had a walnut one out with double reeds (wf-4 ??) and one day i ordered new reeds for the C-3 and got the double by mistake so i tried them anyway in the c-3 body and boy did it sound great and it had the high pitch that the reds really liked... Some calls i also bought would go sour after useing them for a day or two or the reeds would break so I just tossed them up on a shelf.. At the end of the season i will go through the calls i take along the most and give them a good looking over and make any adjustments that is needed and then dipp them in some mouth wash and put up on the shelf or hang in gun cabinet.. Since i bought my WT they don't see alot of use but i have them along just incase...
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

I dont use alot of mouth calls anymore, because i spent about 700 bucks on a foxpro prairie blaster. (My wife thinks i should never leave the house without it, after spending that much money). But for years i strictly used mouth calls. I found that the Randy Anderson calls from primos were fairly easy to use and effective for howling. However, for rabbit distress calls i have always preferred the sound of closed metal reed calls. Its just my opinion but i have had alot of success with them.

Hope i could help.
Show em no mercy!