Nightforce opinions

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

blake
coyotehunter

Nightforce opinions

Post by blake »

Does anyone have experience with the Nightforce Scopes? Is the adjustable Turret a pain in the rear when you need to act fast?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Nightforce opinions

Post by Tim Anderson »

Nightforce Scopes are great scopes just a little over priced though and a little on the long side.. As for makeing adjustments with the turrents they are no different than any other brand of scope with turrents. Just dial and smile.. :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Never shot with one but have heard lots of good things on them! Dialing and smiling is for when you have long shots ONLY. I don't worry about dialing anything under 300yds unless the coyote is laying down or has been sitting there long enough for me to have the time and even then only 300 and longer.

Nice to see you finally posting Blake!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

They are getting a lot of good reviews, but i have never seen one or shot one. As prarie ghost mentioned, anything beyond 300 should get dialed, but anything closer you should be able to hold and shoot.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I just picked one up, and they are very nice to say the least. I was running a Leupold Mark 4 before and they're great rugged scopes too, but the NF is a lot clearer. The turret adjustments are a lot nicer on the NF and the zero stop is very nice for those long ranges. There is a reason why they are so expensive. Quality!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

Deano

What Reticle and power did you go with?

Please let me know when you make a real long shot with the story.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I went with their new model out this year which has the High Speed Turrets. So instead of 10moa per rotation, it's 20moa, which cuts down the rotation quite a bit.

NSX 5.5-22x50mm NP-R1, zero stop, high speed, with moa turrets. The nice thing about the NPR1 is that it's set up in moa instead of mils, so that the reticle matches the turrets. so when shooting you can correct exactly just by reading your reticle. makes it easy. I went with the 50mm over the 56mm because i didn't want to get any further off the barrel than i already was, and light gathering wasn't going to be that much more, and i already had excellent rings that I had on my Mark 4.

If you want mils, go with a mil turret on a MLR reticle.

What kind of story do you want? The day that i got the scope i mounted it, zeroed it, and layed in a pasture lazing rocks. Found one that i liked, (about the size of a volley ball), at 750yds, punched in my dope, rotated turrets to my dope and aimed at the rock, pulled the trigger 5 times and every single one hit center. I was pleased. We'll see if i can beat my longest coyote this year, 753yds and last year 702yds. we'll see. the nice thing about the zero stop, is after i get done i just rotate my turrets tell they stop and i can do that without even looking, it's quick and easy to get right back to zero.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Sounds like nighforce is stepping up and really providing a quality product from what Xdeano is reporting!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

A.D.C. work must pay well :P :P . -
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

haaaaaaaa!

I wish. I had to sell my Mark4 and a bunch of other crap around the house just to front the money for them to build me a scope. But they're worth the money. We get paid less than teachers. Kinda sucks.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

xdeano wrote:haaaaaaaa!

We get paid less than teachers. Kinda sucks.
but more than carpenters :wink: looks like this week i'm gonna hafta eat baloney sandwitches. kinda hard to hang siding in a hurricane.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

i have annual leave for days like today. I'd rather sit by the fire and watch tv on days like this. Raining and very wind.
blake
coyotehunter

Post by blake »

Deano I ordered the NF G7 about three weeks ago. I am a bowhunter and rifles are a new quest for me. When I get mine I may need an instructor.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Blake, how big is that whitetail in your avitar??? looks like a good one :D
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

the new g7 looks like a decent scope. the only difference is the low profile and covered windage turret. It's pretty self explanatory but if you need help let me know.

it took about 4 weeks to get mine in.

xdeano