color change

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

color change

Post by leadbiscuit »

A few times over the years I've seen coyotes that were nearly entirely white. Sometimes they had a bit of brown and black on the chest and flanks. I've only seen two or three of them and it's always been in the winter. I can only guess that they are changing color with the seasons. Am I off track? Never had the chance to take one but they were nice looking dogs. Any of you guys seen much of this?

have a good one
leadbiscuit
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: color change

Post by LeviM »

it mostly has to do with the habitat they live it. Coyotes in trees, will be more brownish, coyotes in the open prairie will be more white.
Last edited by LeviM on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Never hunted coyotes that live in trees myself.Only critters I know that live in habits are nuns and those habits are more black than white.On the other hand,Levi is younger and tougher than me so I'd better drop this wise ass habit of mine. :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Dcoy wrote:Never hunted coyotes that live in trees myself.Only critters I know that live in habits are nuns and those habits are more black than white.On the other hand,Levi is younger and tougher than me so I'd better drop this wise ass habit of mine. :lol:

I dont know Dcoy, he is aging really fast with that little one running around and keeping him up at night :wink: Outbid bnb on those coyote figures and tell him it was levi and that way he get a nutty punch in and all you need to do is walk up and tip him over :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dcoy wrote:Never hunted coyotes that live in trees myself.Only critters I know that live in habits are nuns and those habits are more black than white.On the other hand,Levi is younger and tougher than me so I'd better drop this wise ass habit of mine. :lol:
:oops:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

there are 19 subspecies of coyotes and you will see some color variations. You will also see some changes in the seasons but it has more to do with them Molting in the summer with the longer guard hairs filling in with the coming of the shorter days.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

An intelligent answer and some good entertainment. I couldn't ask for any more.