High C

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

High C

Post by lyonch »

I was reading some studies that have been done on coyote vocalizations and they always talked about when a coyote howls they hit a note that is equivelant to a high C and hold it there. I know that it has somehting to do with a music high c, but has anybody heard this anywhere else? I thought that a younger coyote would be higher and the older coyotes would be a little deeper. If thats the case it seems like we all shoud have a notch in our call to hold that note for our howls. Another neet thing that i read and did not know was that a coyote can not howl within 15 minutes of its first howl. They try but they genetically can not howl within 15 minutes of already howling. If someone could bring some truth to this or call it a bluff i would greatly appreciate it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I can't say truthfully about it taking 15 min for them to howl again but I would say it is false. Take a look at getting an old male to challange. I realize this is a shoter howl then say an invitation but you can get them to go back and forth for awhile and group howls also they can carry on for along time sometimes if there feeling vocal otherwise if there were 3 coyotes in a group you would hear 3 howls and then nothing for 15 minutes I would say there is no truth to that. Just my two cents :?
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good point daryl! I didn't know what to think when i was reading all this cause i thought that it would have been pinpointed and somebody would have mentioned something already.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I truthfully don't think any of that true, I would have to see it to believe it. Like Daryl mentioned when you hear a pack of coyotes howl they can go on and on forever. I also don't think every coyote holds the same note. Listening to a pack of coyotes not every coyote sounds the same.

Maybe I am wrong, I don't have alot of experience with coyote vocalizations
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

As far as the high C note thing, I have no idea. I am new to coyote sounds like Levi. If it is true, I will have to push my son to join band when he is in high school. :D

I think I heard Major Boddicker say that whole thing about coyotes not being able to howl for 15 minutes after howling. It was either in one of his books or I saw it on "up close and personal" by Rich Higgins. Can anyone verify which one it is?

When I heard it I was confused. In that statement, is a howl defined as ONE sound, or a session of sounds? It is pretty vague if you ask me.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Maybe if i was music major i wold be able to tell you what a high c is. I have no clue on how to even begin to get a high c note. I am going to try to find where i read this stuff and post it up here. I did alot of searching last night and i might have to go back into the history and pull a few things up. Im kinda glad you guys are calling it B.S. because like i mentioned before if this was something that ifery coyote did we would have heard about aklready and put it into our arsenal. It might have been a study on penned up coyote too. I find those hard to believe because there not in a real like habitat. I prefer to read studies that have been done through radio collared coyotes.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

sounds like your studying coyotes more than you are studying for school!! :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

I haven't figured out how to distinguish between notes to well yet but in the book that comes with the Song Dog call, the high "C" is used for the lone howl or territorial call but the challenge call is not suppose to reach the "C" note. I have just been reading lately and thought I would share what I have read. That book of course was written by Major Boddicker.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well, this is a interesting topic. I was thinking that I have read 20 minutes. It is called by some a spaceing howl. It is a specific howl not just howls in general. Lehner talks about it and so does Mitchel in thier studies on coyote vocalizations. Coyotes howl to help establish and re-affirm bounderies. Boddiker talks about this a lot and I have spoke with him on the phone several times about coyotes and howling. He can do a great job of explaining this trait of coyotes. I do know that there is a lot of information out about it if you can find the studies and take the time to read through it all. Mitchells study is 265 pages long and can be a little dry. I tried to post it on this site but it is bigger than what my server allows to be posted in one file. I could try to break it down some and see if I can post it that way. I am on a dial up at the present time and it makes sending big files a little difficult. The high "C" note for howling is something I do not even think about and I seem to do just fine calling in coyotes. There may be something to it but I just do not know how in the field most guys are suppose to be able to tell if they hit the right note or not.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Sorry guys i forgot that were coyote hunters not music majors :wink: Next time i go i might have to bring the old high school band teacher with so he can critique me :shock: Well when a coyote comes up to me and tells me that i am not hitting the high c note and thats why he is not coming in i will surrender on the spot and turn in my calls for a quilting setup:lol:
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch wrote:Next time i go i might have to bring the old high school band teacher with so he can critique me
Randy Anderson is a former HS band teacher. You would wonder what he thinks of the whole subject?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good Point Fallguy, I wonder what his thoughts are on this subject??

Thanks for clarifing that for us Jamie, I was scratching my head all day on that topic. It just didn't make sense to me :shock:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

That is a great point Fallguy!!! A guy would think that Randy Anderson of all people would know. While watching one of his movies he has a pack of coyotes howling back at him and he mentions that he can hear that old male in there. so there must be a difference.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I am going to kick you in the cherries and see if you hit the High C note

lol :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Maybe some high c Ki Yi's :lol: Then i will squeal like ime dieing for ya :wink:
Chris Lyon