Carrying Coyotes Around

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Carrying Coyotes Around

Post by littlebigenuf »

Hello everyone again. Its been awhile since I've posted. I'm wondering what people are using to carry their dead coyotes from stand to stand when going back to the pickup after a kill isn't an option right away. I've been working on/looking for some kind of sling because dragging them sometimes isn't the easiest either.
WJ
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Re: Carrying Coyotes Around

Post by Fallguy »

That depends on the scenario I guess.

If you are going to do a few stands and take roughly the same path back to the truck I would just leave it and pick it up on the walk back to the truck after your other stands. Leave it by a fence, tree, etc. so you have a landmark.

My buddies and I call some parcels of land where we have found it efficient to park one truck (if we drove seperate) on one side of the land and then drive to the other side and work the land towards the parked vehicle. This is land that is about 2 miles across. In that case I skin them in the field on a fence post, then either put the hide in my pack or just carry the hide in a bundle.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

When I use my pack, I use the Eberlestock x1. It has a built in gun scabbard which works awesome! I have noticed that putting my gun in the scabbard and wearing the pack while dragging a coyote is actually easier than dragging one with just the gun slung and not wearing the pack.

For dragging, I use homemade yote totes made from PVC pipe, 550 paracord, and trapping farrells. I copied the design of the Elk Inc. Yote Tote, and made it better.

I also use a nylon drag bag that I learned from barebackjack. My wife helped me make it. Maybe if you talk to him he can explain it, but it really makes the coyotes glide across snow and their fur doesn't get as badly destroyed.
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

Those are some good ideas. I guess I am mainly talking in tournament situations where skinning them isn't an option and we usually only have one vehicle. Thanks.
WJ
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I'd say in a tournament scenario then just take a tote and after your stand hoof it like hell to the truck to the next stand. It's a time game in that scenario. Like we used to say in track...Make it HURT!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

I USE A KIDS PLASTIC SLED PAINTED WHITE
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

A sled is a good idea bucks multi purpose too you can lay in or sit in when calling or use it to keep your shooting stix or bipod from sinking out of sight in the deep snow.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

yep, can also carry snowshoes and riflle if needed. .i put those eye-hookes on them, 4 per side and run small bungee cords acrosss each set. hell, i've even beeen known to be a big kid and ride it down the big hills :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

bucksnbears wrote:i've even beeen known to be a big kid and ride it down the big hills
:lol: :lol: good idea except the part that follows when you have to walk up that hill on the way back
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Boy have I got a hill for you!
Can't wait.Bring a helmet! :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

littlebigenuf wrote:Hello everyone again. Its been awhile since I've posted.

Levi and I are always asking each other what happened to you. We keep looking for you in all the sunflower fields we drive by and hunt looking for you in case you were lost, but never seen you :lol: :lol: Just joking with you, welcome back and dont take such a long leave of absence :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

Well it seems like I don't get on here much until this time of the year when I'm looking for coyote tournaments. The last time I was at the classic I was still living in Dickinson but I have moved to Mandan since then. Although I still have all my hunting contacts out there. :D I look forward to the classic this January.

Thanks for the ideas.
WJ
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

" Bring a Helmet" I will be laughing about that mental picture for a long time.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!