Ermine

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Ermine

Post by 1Shooter »

Anyone here ever trap ermine? If so, lets see some pics! I've been thinking about giving it a go.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Ermine

Post by Tim Anderson »

Rat traps work well placed inside a small box with a little hole for them to get into and fresh bait placed at the back of the box. The set will work all winter as long as it don't get buried by snow. Creeks, old wood lots and sloughs are a good place to look for them. I got some pic's somewhere if I can find them..

By the way send me youre phone number ASAP..
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

had an old timer tell me he used to catch them by rubbing bacon grease on a piece of steel. weasel would lick it and freeze their tounge to the steel. not sure if he was pulling my leg or not :?
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:had an old timer tell me he used to catch them by rubbing bacon grease on a piece of steel. weasel would lick it and freeze their tounge to the steel. not sure if he was pulling my leg or not :?

That would be the funniest damn thing ever :lol: :lol: :lol: Makes a guy want to try it just to see if it works :lol: :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:had an old timer tell me he used to catch them by rubbing bacon grease on a piece of steel. weasel would lick it and freeze their tounge to the steel. not sure if he was pulling my leg or not :?
Thanks I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!!!! :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If someone put bacon grease on a steel rod, i think you would lick it too Bucs, so please dont put bacon grease on a steel rod folks; i dont want to to see bucs stuck to some flag pole cause he tried licking the bacond grease off :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

LOL :lol: . nope, learned my lesson about 30 years ago. :shock: theres prolly still skin stuck to the stopsign at 18th st and 12 ave. south moorhead :oops: :oops:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

bucksnbears wrote:LOL :lol: . nope, learned my lesson about 30 years ago. :shock: theres prolly still skin stuck to the stopsign at 18th st and 12 ave. south moorhead :oops: :oops:
Popped my frozen metal on the tongue cherry about 25 years ago. Arm load of wood and Dads chain link gate. :x I was all alone and I stood there with the arm load of firewood with my tongue stuck to that gate for about five minutes until I found the courage to rip it off. Damn that hurt. :shock: :x :oops:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Funny stuff guys.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Caught my first today in a mink set
P.S. - Tim I sent you a pm with my number
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

neat :) have you tried the bacon grease on iron yet??
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

nope bucks, haven't tried it yet, but I did make some bacon yesterday :) I have my doubts that it would work, but I might try it just to see. Someone with a trailcam should try it to tell what's visiting the bacon grease!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

it was a LONG time ago, but the guy that told me that said that weasels have a super high metabolism and will die real quick if exposed to the elements without moving. i'm not leading you on a"SNIPE HUNT" 1shooter :wink: just what i was told :wink: or perhaps he was leading me on a snipe hunt :?
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

There was an old "right off the boat" Swede that used to sell fur to my dad regularly. This was back in the 80s and he was probably in his 90s at that time.

He claimed thats how he caught em, and he caught a LOT of em.

He was the closest thing to a mountain man ive ever seen. Had a "squaw" indian wife that put up most of his fur!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

1shooter good job on the weasel..

I got youre number but it came to late, i was already down the road. It was too windy for the contest but the next 3 days where awsome....