New guy needs advice

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: New guy needs advice

Post by leadbiscuit »

Got my 22-243 screwed together this morning. Probably start the load work in the next couple days. I plan on starting with H1000 and 75 grain amax. If anyone is interested, speak up and I'll post the accuracy/velocity results in the reloading section.

leadbiscuit
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

let us know :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
jarhead4430
coyotehunter

Post by jarhead4430 »

Im new to coyote hunting and dont have much of a choice for rifles. I hunt in western Kansas and have the choice between a 17 cal, 243, or 6mm. Ive been using the 17 but havent got any shots at any coyotes yet. should i keep using the 17 or switch?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

my personal opinion would be shoot the .243, but i know a lot of coyotes have taken dirt naps from a .17 centerfire.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

My humble opinion would be to sell the .17 and get a new tube for the 6mm chambered in 22-6mm AI. :) :) But I'm bias on that one. :wink:
"God hates a coward"
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

lyonch wrote:my personal opinion would be shoot the .243, but i know a lot of coyotes have taken dirt naps from a .17 centerfire.
ya had to open that can of worms did'nt ya :mrgreen: :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

jarhead4430 wrote:Im new to coyote hunting and dont have much of a choice for rifles. I hunt in western Kansas and have the choice between a 17 cal, 243, or6mm. Ive been using the 17 but havent got any shots at any coyotes yet. should i keep using the 17 or switch?
:D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Since my number came up I figure I better chime in.. :mrgreen:

[quoteIm new to coyote hunting and dont have much of a choice for rifles. I hunt in western Kansas and have the choice between a 17 cal, 243, or 6mm. Ive been using the 17 but havent got any shots at any coyotes yet. should i keep using the 17 or switch?][/quote]

Not sure if I understand youre post. Dose'nt matter what cal. you have at the time, if you don't have a coyote out in front. If you are meaning you have'nt had a coyote close enough for a shot with the 17 cal then most likely they are'nt close enough for the other cal.s mentioned either... Learn to shoot that 17 and call them in and you can pile them up just as easey as the other cal.s..
Here are some 100-200-300 yds coyotes shot with a 17 cal. you will notice they are all dead..LOL

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Well we might as well have some fun with this. 8) :mrgreen:
Hey Tim, where are the 4-5-and 600 yard coyotes? :P :P :P :mrgreen:
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

DustyC wrote:Well we might as well have some fun with this. 8) :mrgreen:
Hey Tim, where are the 4-5-and 600 yard coyotes? :P :P :P :mrgreen:

Uh Oh!!! Now that is a can of worms Bucs :lol: :lol: I guess i did start it thought when i mentioned the .17 :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

images.jpg
images.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 15912 times
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Hey Tim, where are the 4-5-and 600 yard coyotes?
Well some are in this pile:

And some are in this one also:

And here is another:

And there are two in this pile.. :mrgreen:
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

see this is why i don't post any pictures, for many reasons. Because people don't believe pictures, because they could have been taken in 1995 for a total number of that year, and to gloat. I don't like gloaters! I shoot a couple coyotes a year, but you don't see them on here. I'm to the point that pictures don't mean much to me. I don't have time to keeping track, because that doesn't mean much. Numbers are Numbers, they don't mean shit! And at what imaginary yardage that you stick on those numbers even mean less to me because it's BS. Tim, that's why people make those little cartoons about you and your little 17 grain of rice. You know a person is better known for what he does and doesn't gloat about it than a person who gloats about it. It makes a person unbelievable and people start calling you tarpstrap. Because they think you're stretching the truth.

30 minutes later...
Sorry Tim for taking it out on you, but I'm just saying that you need to gloat a little less, it makes it more believable. I'm not saying that that little 30g bullet with a bc that is more than my 50g bullet in my 22-250 has more potential energy at 600yds, but i'm not going to shoot 600yds with my 22-250 either. There are a lot of variables with that little guy to touch an animal at that range.

Xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Tim, aren't all your .17's on steriods!!

back to the thread....yes any info on that .22-243 would be nice to see.

I would worry more about getting coyotes in front of you then the caliber at this point. All 3 that you mentioned will kill coyotes.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

LOL.. Not gloating just trying to get the point across. If it pisses some people off great, maybe they will try a little harder the next time they are out calling or have a coyote or two out in front. By the way most of the pic's are from last season except the first one which is from this year.. I only have one long shot for this season and I'm still waiting for the vidio to get down loaded, maybe I'll let you see it maybe I won't.. :wink:
Tim, aren't all your .17's on steriods!!
Just the 17 Pred. but hey you should see how well its big brother is working out, he is a 20x47 Lapua shooting 40 gr. V-max's.. :mrgreen: