New rifle. My ultimate tourny rifle

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Re: New rifle. My ultimate tourny rifle

Post by barebackjack »

jaybic wrote:BBJ, what is your current "go to" .308 load. I have a trued up 700 with a 1/10 twist 26in krieger 5 contour barrel on it and am looking to find a good long range load for it. So far I have tried 168gr Matchkings and 155 Berger VLDs and 110gr Vmax and was wondering if you or any one else had any other suggestions. I know Xdeano uses ad .308 alot as well and maybe he will chime in. If not, thanks anyway. :D

Jaybic
155 grain Scenars in front of 46 grains of Varget. Does about 2850 fps. The rifle I sold this summer (which was a stupid stupid idea) when seated to Lapuas recommendation of 2.800" for the scenar was capable of around 1/2" at 300. That was a stock 700 with just a slight trigger tweak. The one I have now, well thats another story. :cry:

I know xdeano uses the same bullets and powder, not sure on his charge though.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Another story good or bad? I have never tried scenars. I guess I will have to get some and try. Thanks for the recipe.

Jaybic
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

seems as though the .260 is getting lots of praises lately.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

The 260 would be a great all around coyote/deer load. I'm trying to con Barebackjack into one, but it doesn't seem like much arm twisting is involved. I'm also pointing fallguy into a 260 also, he's already got a 223 and 243 so the next in my book would be the 260. I'll probably put a new barrel on after about 2 more years of shooting with the current one in 308. I am kicking myself now after shooting my custom for 2 years and i should have done a 260, or a 6.5creedmore, 6.5x47Lapua, they're all about the same, but the 260 just has a lead by an edge. The only thing holding the 260 back is the brass. If Lapua would start making brass i really think it would take off, expecially if they made it with a small primer pocket to make it even more consistent. But a guy could neck down some 308 brass, not to big of a problem.

My 308 load is:
155g Lapua Scenar
45.4g Varget @ 2825fps.
Lapua Brass
Federal 210 Match primers
Seated 2.140" to the ogive
OAL 2.815"

The barrel was cut for the specific bullet combo. 22" bartlien barrel.

Not sure why the 260 is coming back so strong, i think it might be the fact that all the new little wildcats are coming out in the 6.5 and they aren't living up to the 260, so people are going back to what they know. 260!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini