deep snow=reluctant coyotes

Post your Predator hunting photos here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

deep snow=reluctant coyotes

Post by bucksnbears »

Denise and i spent the day in central ND yesterday.made 6 stands where sign was abundant. seen 14 coyotes and only had 2 respond. the 2 that did,did so across the ice where going was alot easier. .we were walking across a lake and i actually fell through wearing snowshoes :shock: .did'nt get to wet but ruined it for me the rest of the day :x .she missed a broadsider at about 125 :oops: .we watched it come from 3/4 miles across the ice. took ALOT of coaxing to keep it coming. i ended up shooting it at about 225 full run. :D big,old male... all coyotes were around cattail sloughs. not around cattle as i expected :roll: . Denise just left for work.. she's VERY stiff this morning. hell, even i am abit :shock:
DSC09753.JPG
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: deep snow=reluctant coyotes

Post by Dcoy »

Serious ice issue when the snowshoes don't hold you.Scary.Only one scary incident so far this year for me-one foot went through but I was 'out' and 10 paces down lake before the water gods could grab me.Still hard on underwear though. :shock:
Over the years one finds spots that are dangerous.The real scary thing about a few are that they 'move' and they aren't consistent.One lake in NoDak has a spot that some years is open water and the next may have 6 inches of ice or more.Spring?Current?Who knows.
I pay particular attention to 'neck downs' in long or bigger lakes,all points(wind curent alone can prevent good ice formation),all steep bank areas and if a body of water has one bad spot,I'm careful all over it.If going on certain lakes,I carry my ice picks but should do it all the time.
'Be safe out there'.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Lets be honest bucs, you missed at 125 yards and denise picked it up on the run at 225 and had to back you up :lol: :lol: :lol: I see your getting better at the blame your partner part of this sport :mrgreen: Congrats on the dog!! Any running coyote is a hell of a shot!! There is never 2 that run away the same. That's interesting you didn't find any around the cattle yards :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

my guess is their in the cattails for pheasants. lots of birds.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

just had a rancher call me. asked me if i had called his west pasture?? i was gonna but it was after i got wet so decided not to. i went by it at about 2:00. he was there at 3 and said there were 3 coyotes right behind his feedlot. wonder when i'm gonna catch a break??? :mrgreen:
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

bucksnbears wrote:just had a rancher call me. asked me if i had called his west pasture?? i was gonna but it was after i got wet so decided not to. i went by it at about 2:00. he was there at 3 and said there were 3 coyotes right behind his feedlot. wonder when i'm gonna catch a break??? :mrgreen:
"catch a break"

Ok mr. black fox, 16 in one day, leader of the points series............... I'm surprised you can sit with that horse shoe in your arse :lol: :lol:

yesterday was tough, your going to get the shots i didn't get to shoot :twisted:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Optimax90 wrote:
bucksnbears wrote:just had a rancher call me. asked me if i had called his west pasture?? i was gonna but it was after i got wet so decided not to. i went by it at about 2:00. he was there at 3 and said there were 3 coyotes right behind his feedlot. wonder when i'm gonna catch a break??? :mrgreen:
"catch a break"

Ok mr. black fox, 16 in one day, leader of the points series............... I'm surprised you can sit with that horse shoe in your arse :lol: :lol:

:twisted:
i gotta pull it out once in a while to polish it up :mrgreen:.. 15 Opti..15.. don't get Daryl all ryalup again :wink:
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Sorry man didn't mean to cause problem :wink:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Trevor and I made four sets on a ranch this weekend that is usually good for 3-4 dogs and had zero response. Trevors Dad works on that ranch and later that night he called Trevor and said he had a dead calf in a draw that he didn't know about and ran eight coyotes off of it. :x Woulda been nice to know about that. :cry:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The 3' of snow here has finally crusted up and the coyotes are starting to move around more.. Time to get to calling....
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Nice shooting Bucs! They aren't easy to hit on the run at 100 yards let alone 225. I once fell through ice on a creek in late January when there was record ice depth on the lake up here. I was stalking on 5 bedded dogs in a tournament and took my snowshoes off the last 300 yards and fell in to my crotch with one foot. What saved me was the -25 degree day we had. My coveralls froze up immediately. I crawled to the other side of the creek squeaked one in and dumped him. I was amazed I didn't get cold on the mile walk back to the truck but the water in my boots was warm and it didn't hurt that I had some fur to block. Keep killing em!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nick dead coyotes in tow have a unbelievable warming effect :lol:

BNB when are you going to let go of the dog hog throne and let that poor women kill her own coyotes asshole!!!!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Nick dead coyotes in tow have a unbelievable warming effect :lol:

BNB when are you going to let go of the dog hog throne and let that poor women kill her own coyotes asshole!!!!! LOL :lol: :lol:
LOL. that day was specifacally spent for her to get her first coyote. maybe if they had a prairie dog painted on them she could hit one :wink: