a few questions

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
hitman1881
coyotehunter

a few questions

Post by hitman1881 »

i am new to coyote hunting and just found a deal on an almost new rifle(guy bought it and shot enough to sight it in then lost his job and needed some money) it is a remington 700 sps varmint in 223. came with bipod, sling and a 10-40x50 ncstar scope. i had never heard of that scope but with a little research i am wondering if it is anygood? if not worth having can you give any advice on a good scope to put on the rifle at a moderate price range. also wondering what you all think of the rifle itself? what would be the best bullet for this gun? thanks in advance for any advise you could give.
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Re: a few questions

Post by tobeymcmullen »

I dont know much about the gun in specifics. However, The round .223 is an excelent varmint bullet. Many options to be had. Granted the army shoots out to 300 meters with one, keeping in mind the target is 6 foot tall. Not that an accuarte shot cant be made out farther with a scoped rifle. The scope as I have heard by many is JUNK. Throw it far. Burris makes an excellent varmint scope. Best suggestion I can give is take the rifle to a reputable gun shop and get a scope made for a .223.
I never use anything over a 4 power, due to loss of ranging abilities. Larger the target the closer you think it is. Equals a lot of missed shots. Bi-pod is a nice feature,wish I had one. I hope some of this helps
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I would see if he would sell the rifle without the scope. The sps guns normally have pressure bedded barrels. You may have heard of a free floated barrels. Pressure bedded barrel means that the stock contacts the barrel towards the end of the forearm. Unfortunately most of the sps stocks aren't ridgid enough to properly free float a barrel. As the barrel warms up on a pressure bedded rifle, the zero will tend to wander a bit due to the force the stock is putting on the barrel. This shouldn't be a big problem on a coyote gun. Not a good deal for extended shooting sessions or p.d. hunting. You can always pick up a better stock down the road.

The cheapest scope I can recommend to someone would be a Burris Fullfield 2. I have several of these and they work well. I've got a 3-9x40 that's easily been on a dozen different guns and it keeps right on truckin. Optics are good enough for night hunting on snow, assuming decent moonlight.

Winchester makes some ammo it labels as USA. They sell it in 40 rnd boxes and it works remarkably well in most guns. I should probably mention it's very reasonably priced.

Some pretty decent guys around here. If you have any more questions speak up. We'll help if we can.
hitman1881
coyotehunter

Post by hitman1881 »

Thanks for all the input... the scope and gun was a package deal, but i am already looking at a few diffrent scope options. thinking about the nikon coyote scope in either 3-9x40 or 4.5-14x40. seems like a decent scope for the money. i have found several places online can buy a new one shipped for about $260. i went to a couple diffrent local gun shops and stores looking for bullets but none of them had anything but very cheep .223 ammo. i was looking for the 55 grain vmax but no luck. i do not load rifle bullets (yet). anyone know of an online shop you can order live ammo or do you hafta be a ffl holder to have ammo shipped to you? i have already picked up alot of tips from this site just spending a few hours reading. great site and i will be visiting often.
tobeymcmullen
coyotehunter

Post by tobeymcmullen »

Hit man I went thru a place on line to buy some bullets that I couldnt find(303 savage). It is called Buffalo arms, out of Idaho. Good to work with, Lots of round choices. http://www.buffaloarms.com

Another good one is http://www.ableammo.com