Coyotes wont pay attn. to my call...HELP!!

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
etoyoc
coyotehunter

Coyotes wont pay attn. to my call...HELP!!

Post by etoyoc »

Well first off, I'm a beginner..Been readin up on this site and found a lot of good info...I'm from north Louisiana, my buddy owns about 300 acres of catfish ponds, pasture land and a few row crop fields..This place is absolutely riddled with coyotes..U can barely take a step without steppin in a yote track...My problem is they wont pay attn. to my calls...I have a foxpro fx3..So its not my callin lol...When we set up on a stand at the break of day, I have watched a coyote on a few occasions come in the pasture headed to the creek before I even turn the call on...When I try n call em in closer they merely glance in the direction of the call n then try and walk off...I know they can hear it...I hit them with the rat distress, rabbit distress, n lip squeaks...What gives...Then obviously I have seen nothin on any stand after the first set....Any advice would be much appreciated...Thanks fella's....
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Coyotes wont pay attn. to my call...HELP!!

Post by bucksnbears »

point blank, your way over calling 300 acres. the've heard it all and have caught on.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

how many stands are you makeing in a day on the 300 acres?
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I would drop the calling and hunt them like a deer ambush them tree stand ?? shoot some off the property and new blood will move in then try some lite calling
a proud member of the "IF" team
etoyoc
coyotehunter

Post by etoyoc »

We have made 7 stands all together...On three diff. days.. I thought maybe the distress didnt work because they dont really have to look for food..They have all the dead catfish they want among other dead critters that get shot off the ponds there...I tried howls n chanllenges but I get nothing...They only thing they respond to is the locater call but they dont come to that...Usually when I hit the locater at least 3 diff packs open up...So I know they are there...Yes we pretty much have been setting up on the like a deer stand..We see em, try n call em, they ignore us so we shoot em..lol..And dont get me wrong, its fun shooting em like that but I have never called one in and I figured that would be a perfect place to do it....
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

...Yes we pretty much have been setting up on the like a deer stand..We see em, try n call em, they ignore us so we shoot em..lol..And dont get me wrong, its fun shooting em like that but I have never called one in and I figured that would be a perfect place to do it....
Well there ago, you conditioned the coyotes in this area not to go anywhere near youre stand. In other words the coyotes are no longer comfortable comeing in to this area when it hears distress sounds or even coyote vocals..
Just as well stick to deer hunting and maybe snipeing a few coyotes if you can and forget about calling them... :roll: :roll:
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

You might want to try light pup distress calls and using a coyote decoy. Give them something they havn't seen before. I would do this far away from treestands you have used before though. Its also breeding season so try some short female invitation calls with your decoy. Just mix it up and never try the same stand/call series twice. It probably doesn't get very cold in northern LA, so they aren't going to need near the amount of calories to survive down there as they do in colder climates. So i would stay away from trying to appeal to their stomach, and appeal to their curiosity and territorialism. Don't forget, challenge calls scare away more coyotes than they call. And on 300 acres you can't afford to scare too many away.