Another new member with questions...

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
MJS1977
coyotehunter

Another new member with questions...

Post by MJS1977 »

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Mike and i live in western pa. I'm an avid archery and bird hunter and i've been curious and very interested in coyote hunting for a while. My buddy and i going to start calling soon in hopes of bagging one of these things...lol..

I've been doing tons of research on calling but i need a direction as to which mouth calls would be good for a beginner. I'm looking mostly for a brand name and model. I'm thinking i need a cotton tail rabbit distress and also something for howling. There are several brands and i've looked into Dan thompsom calls which has a combo pack that meets my needs but i don't want to waste money on products that don't sound good or work.

Could some one give me a direction on which brand and model mouth calls to begin with?

thanks in advance,

mike
EO caller

Re: Another new member with questions...

Post by EO caller »

Thompson calls are good, the howlers sound great. Critter Calls seems to be the most popular around this site. The primos Randy Anderson stuff is also good. Mark Zepp has good sounding stuff as well as the Verminator calls. You just need to figure out if you want open reed or closed reed calls. The open will work better in the cold weather and are more versitile but harder to master. Welcome to the site and good luck. :D
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I have a hard time with the Thompson howlers. Can't seem to make them work. I agree with EO that critr calls are awesome. Easy to blow and sound good. I also like the Sceery line of calls. I especially like the howler. I use it year round and has a great sound and lots of volume. I take the big old bell off of it and use it for an oil funnel though. :)
"God hates a coward"
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

I too have a hard time with the Dan Thompson howler. The easiest howler for me to use is the Lohman coyote locator. I took the tube off the Dan Thompson and modified it so it would fit into the Lohman for a little extra volume. As for distress calls.... I like all of the Sceery calls with the open reed being the best for not freezing up. :)
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

The Thompson howlers are hard to master. Takes alot of air. I forgot to mention their is a guy on the site that hand makes howlers and they are fantastic. Dakota Howlers. Its about all i use anymore.http://sdsnake.com/coyote.htm is were to find him.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Oh ya. I have one. I like it so far. I just haven't used it that much. It has a lot higher pitch than my Sceery.
It's really pretty though!!LMAO. It's better lookin than Rosie O'donnel.
"God hates a coward"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

This site sells great hand calls and helps out hte site also, and ya the thompson howler hard to blow I run out of air, I do use an old sceery. but got a critr call at the classic and love it so far, even though I don't howl very often, 1 out of 6-7 stands?? in a week or so more howling
a proud member of the "IF" team
MJS1977
coyotehunter

Post by MJS1977 »

Thanks for all the replies!!! I've been doing research on the coyote population in my area and i'm very surprised to hear how often people are seeing them as wells as how many. I'm going to order my calls today and hopefully will be ready to go next week.

As mentioned earlier im a big grouse hunter too and i have a newer model side by side that doesn't have the best shooting dimensions for me so i'm trading it in for a 22-250. I've always wanted one for ground hogs rather than my .270.
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

DustyC wrote:Oh ya. I have one. I like it so far. I just haven't used it that much. It has a lot higher pitch than my Sceery.
It's really pretty though!!LMAO. It's better lookin than Rosie O'donnel.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Howlers are like women to me...The prettier they are the more I can stand to listen to em.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

:lol: TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"God hates a coward"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I don't howl much mainly because I don't have a good understanding of how it should be done. Having said that, the howler that works the best for me is the power howler by E.L.K. As far as i know it only works for long howls. It does a good job of pissing off the coyotes around here.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I bought one o the E.L.K Inc yote tube calls once. I didn't really like the howls out of it but it would work. It made great distress though. I haven't tried the power howler.
"God hates a coward"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I like both of the E.L.K calls except for volume, the power howler and yote buster are not the loudest compared to others... I don't use the power howler much but it does make good sounding howls...
I had a call maker cut me a short piece of horn and modified it so I could use the yote buster tone board in it...It is much louder now and has a higher pitch howl to it to simulate a female or pup howl, good pup distress sounds canbe made along with prey distress sounds.. You can work the call from one end to the other with out haveing any pitch breaks so that makes it pretty universal.. Screrry calls are good also,along with wiley-one howlers. Jerry's howlers are easey to use and also sound very good so I usually have one or both along when useing hand calls...

Modified "yote buster"

Wiley-one howler

And a few calls that don't see much use except for maybe a doz..
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

wow. what a collection of calls
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tim, which one is Krusty's??? :P
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."