Newbie first Hunt--pic heavy

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Newbie first Hunt--pic heavy

Post by bucksnbears »

ok,ok,T. I see your point also. if i were to sit where Chris has his dots, i would prolly lay low and prone.. if all i had was shooting stix, i would go with you and get a bit lower over the hill and sit so i would'nt be skylined.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

how does one go about making them lines and dots. can i do it one a regular computer or do i need some kind of special feature??? :?
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucksnbears wrote:how does one go about making them lines and dots. can i do it one a regular computer or do i need some kind of special feature??? :?

You can do it on your computer bucks!! Right click on the picture and save the picture to your computer. Then open up the picture that is saved to your computer, and it should open it automatically through "windows picture and fax viewer". Then on the bottom of the picture their is a toolbar there for zooming in and out and some other things, but if you go one icon to the left of the question mark and click on it, it will take you to a picture editing software. Go ahead and start drawing and then make sure you save it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tbush wrote:looks like some great areas...kinda neat to look at this area and get "IMO" input on where to set up :D I was thinking some where between the red dots (just to be over that rise a bit) :D NOW I know there are way to many factors about"THE SPOT" But could be fun to see what others think w/o over analyzing it :roll: :roll:

Good point Tbush!! I was thinking in my mind that they would be lying prone, since that is what i do. If they were to sit like your style, i would get just over the rise as you mentioned. I should also make the exclaimer that i am setting up his scenarios for two people since that is how many are hunting these areas per stand. If i was by myself, i would set up a bit different in some situations.
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

ok now i think i am getting the whole picture here. the picture i edited is the left view and picture dirtydog edited is the right view if someone was standing there. If a guy were to print the two pictures off, and put them side by side thats what the panorama view would be. so now that i understand everything, give me a few minutes tomorrow and do some picture editing to get a panorama view and i will try to do some drawing on it. It's making more sense to me now, why you set up where you did :D
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Rather than move farther out from the orignal stand why not just call them in closer???? Its hard to see everything in the pic. but if was to make a stand I would do it in the exact spot or move a little more to the right so you can see more into the bottom....I try to never give up the high ground.......
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

OMG!!!!!! Chris you are such a computer DORK!!!!!lolol Just kiddin.
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

DustyC wrote:OMG!!!!!! Chris you are such a computer DORK!!!!!lolol Just kiddin.

:lol: :lol: I have too much time on my hands at work sometimes :lol: :lol: I experiment with programs kinda like you did with the sheep in wyoming :shock: :mrgreen: The computer knowledge does come in handy though when i get back from calling coyotes and i place a pin on the location i called them from on google earth with a small explanation on what happened. Merging these two pictures together could be interesting i have never done it before :wink:
Chris Lyon

snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

Newbie when I was in gunsmith school in trinidad CO. we made a tape of your big ass ravens feeding on a dead cow turned out to be the best thing we did for calling in the mt. start with it on ever stand.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Is this roughly what you saw???? Damb that took some time :? It's not exact, but it must be pretty close. Oh and by the way, great job Dirtydog at putting the sun to your back :D

Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Great looking country. I don't think the set-up has a whole lot to do with it though. From everthing I've read it just sounds like either lack of intrest (which is a problem this time of year) or possibly a boundry issue. Shooting probly wasn't the best thing to do, I would have waited till he was out of sight then moved in closer. But its easy to to quarterback from my computer. I've taken lots of dumb shots and then thought later about what I should have done. Just part of the game.
Dirty Dog just keep the main rules of calling on your side (wind,sun,sight) and try not to over analyze your set-up to much and keep on calling. It'll happen.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

now that was NICE and great advise :D :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

Wow! You guys are awesome! Great feedback!

Lyonch - you created the panorama perfectly...it looked just like that. There was zero wind to speak of. We originally were much closer but moved to that spot after no action. If we woulda stayed put, we woulda prolly had a bout a 200 yard shot on that nasty dog! :D

Here is a pic looking directly to the west...we set up here cuz it gave us a big field of view.
"success is often determined by rounds down range!"
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

and here is a pic looking directly out in front of where I sat...
DirtyDog
coyotehunter

Post by DirtyDog »

Here is a shot from the next morning's set. There were dogs howling in all directions...had one barking at us that sounded very close to the left up the draw.

second morning set

Question - how far are you guys moving when you move sets? There was no wind to speak of.