Clarification

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Clarification

Post by lyonch »

I have to agree that the knowledge i have gained from this site has far surpassed anything that i have read or watched!! I just wanted some clarification from the people i trust to give me an honest answer on what they see.

On a side note, take a look at the placement of that coyotes feet when he/she has their nose to the ground smelling. I would assume this would be very close to how this particular coyote would work a set and it seems through the picture that the feet are farther than 9" back from it's line of site to look down. I'm not saying that everyone should change their trap placement because of one coyote picture, but i think it kind of opens a persons eyes a little bit.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

Wow, what a cocky prick! This weekend I called in a double from a long way out. Only one of the two fully commited and the other did not come over the hill. I decided to take the one because it was getting nervous and ready to bug out. After a short track job, I was dragging it to the road. My partner pulls up and asks "Male or Female"? I assumed it was a male just because it was a good sized yote and came in to the call at a pretty good clip, but never did check. We block the coyote and throw in the truck next to a male that I had shot earlier in the morning. My partner says "I bet that second one is a female". He was right. It looked a little smaller than the male and the male was more block headed. When we checked in, the male weighed 29 lbs and the female weighed 31 lbs and change( and I know she left probably a pound or two of blood on that hillside.) :D So the bigger look on the male was all hair.

So I guess I can't tell sexes apart even when they are dead at my feet by looking at them........Guess I have stick with the two finger method! :lol: :lol:

Now my question to you guys is, what is a big female? Do they get into the upper 30's like the males?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

1dogdown wrote:Now my question to you guys is, what is a big female? Do they get into the upper 30's like the males?

That's a good question. I can not say 100% for sure that they are always smaller than the males, but usually the coyote that wins bid dog in a tournament is usually a male when they are 35 plus pounds. I have seen the little dog go both ways. My assumption would be that a lot of it has to depend on the lifestyle the coyotes lives. If you were to take a female that has a full belly and has been eating really good her whole life, she could easily way more than an average coyote and most males. I think a lot has to do with age and nutrition. In my personal opinion when it comes to the biggest and heaviest of coyotes it will probably be a male.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

lyonch wrote: In my personal opinion when it comes to the biggest and heaviest of coyotes it will probably be a male.
Thats what I thought also...... I've never really weighed coyotes other than in tournaments. I just thought that 32 lbs for a female was pretty damn big if their scale was correct.

Back in 1999, I hunted the World Tournament in Elko, Nevada and the first day of the tourney I was leading largest female with a 28lb something yote. Somebody came in right at the buzzer with one just under 29lbs to beat me out. And there was a heaping truck load of coyotes shot.