EO Kitty trapping 2010

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Re: EO Kitty trapping 2010

Post by EO caller »

I figured out that their is a difference between blue backs and red cats in our area. I guess the buyers liked the blues here. The ones I have had in the past are reds so this one should be a good one but thatnks for the #s Dusty. Can't hurt having them.
Levi I am putting up cats but havn't sold any yet. Gonna wait till the season is over and sell em all at once. I'll let you know what we get for them.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the blue back don't realy look blue...........or at least not that blue. Johny hughes lost his license to buy and John Grahm moved to the county next to me to try his hand at wyoming control work. Dusty is right though the blues will bring the big money. I had a nice one a few years back that went for $730.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

So is the one in my pic a blue back? I'm confused.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

no, I wouldn't think you would see much of the blue back cats in your area. Your Dad may know better but I would have to say you have more of the coastal bobcat then the western Lynxcat.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

It seems like I catch the dark ones sometimes and then I'll catch the really blonde lighter colored ones and they bring more money. The lighter colored ones have more whispy hair and clearer bellies. The dark ones hair is shorter and a little more course.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you may have two different cats over there, neather of which are the Lynx Rufus Uinta (Mountain Bobcat) that we have over here.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

nice. I just learned alot. When did Graham move to Wyoming? Hughes usually comes threw Riverton in march buying cats. I'll know not to wait now. Thanks for the info.
"God hates a coward"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Had to let another one go. Pretty small female.After we got the trap off I accidently got myself between the cat and the river and I think she felt a little crowded. She started coming right at me and I tried to get the hell out of their and slipped and fell. :oops: No injuries but I did throw the camera into the rocks and found out how cold the river was with my left leg. :shock: My cousin was with me and thought it was quite funny :lol: . The kitty bailed into the river and swam to a rock and climbed up on it. My camera still worked so I got a pic of it. She was quite a ways from land but when we got about a hundred yards away we saw her jump back to dry land. Pretty good watching. Man they can jump. :shock:
KITTEN.jpg
KITTEN2.jpg
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have never caught or had to release a cat,but I always here how careful you need to be with them.. Now that we know your okay, it sounded pretty funny :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

:lol: :lol: Great post EO and what a story!! I never knew a bobcat would swim like that :? I bet it was sight to see though 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

So Coyotehunter i talked to the old man about it and he said that their is western lynx around here but what we catch most of the time is the darker coastal cats. He said he never caught a bonified blue back but his partner did. They use to trap together when they would float the river. They would find a good draw and one would go up one side and one to the other. They didn't split the catch or anything and they always filled their tags. Anyway he said his buddy got more for that cat then they had ever gotten. This was in the eighties and he got over 700$.When dad saw the cats hide from the picture above his eyes got big and he said it was a hell of a cat. :shock: This is a guy that doesn't throw compliments around (to me anyway) so I think I've got a good one on my hands.
We'll see what happens on sale day. :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO did you ever entertain the idea of selling that one on the taxidermist market? Sometimes they are willing to pay un-godly amounts of money and you don't even need to skin it or put it up.
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Probly too late. He is already skinned and frozen. I'll put him up next week with a few others. I would sell to anybody who bids the highest though. I'll post a pic of all of the kitties when I get them together.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO caller wrote: I'll post a pic of all of the kitties when I get them together.

Looking forward to seeing this pic!!! I love the cat pics. I just wish MN had decent cats and allowed more of them to be taken.
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Picked this tom up yesterday. Kinda wierd. Right on top of a knob. I usually set up in crossings and hog back swales but this spot had Bobcat cougar and coyote shit all in a small area. Mad a flat set up against a sage brush and put the cougar shit on a lever. Used a bit of gland lure on the sagebrush and thats it. Had him by a toe in an MJ600.
Seal Cat.jpg