Spring trapping Around the house

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Spring trapping Around the house

Post by EO caller »

Well,,,,,,sometimes when your a fur trapper you have to find something to keep your trapper mentality going. I have a hell of an infestation of rabbits going under my house so I went to the ole trap shed and found some old mink and rat traps my dad got at a yard sale 30 years ago. Caught this one a little deep on a flat set (for lack of anything else to call it) on top of a concrete block that they jump onto to get under the house. This is actually the second one I caught but the cow dogs ate the other one out of the trap so no picture. Not real proud of it but what the hell,,,,I'm still trappin. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
rabbittrappedre.jpg
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Spring trapping Around the house

Post by lyonch »

EO - have you tried to snare them? There seems to be some people who really get into snaring rabbits. I have never done it myself, but think in the offseason, it would be a good way to keep those hanging skills sharp :lol: :lol: I think i have some mink snares laying around (only 3 or 4) but i would think they could snare a rabbit. I guess chew outs happen quite often with rabbit snaring from what i read :shock: Congrats and keep stacking them fury little buggers up!!

P.S. if you catch one live, record the distress sound (pm me on how to do this) and send me the sound and i will edit if for you to fit on your foxpro :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

If I ever buy a Foxpro Chris I'll give that a try. It must take some super light cable to snare them little suckers. I've seen this same rabbit run right over some of my other traps and never set them off, they just dont weigh enough. I had em on super light hair triggers too. These little baby rabbits are tough to catch. I hve some little tiny connibears and they run under or around or in between to trigger. I figured out that if you set the traps to were they jump up or down onto them it'll work. But just running across them won't cut it.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO - have you thought about using a muskrat style trap? I wouldn't think a muskrat would weigh more than a rabbit :? In my opinion, i would use a pulled apart cotton ball under the pan, rather than a screen over the top (if that's what you are doing). I would also make the pan tension ablsolutely zero. I will have to see if i can find those snares.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!