22-6mm reloading data

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

broncstomper
coyotehunter

22-6mm reloading data

Post by broncstomper »

Hello all,

While I here typing I thought I would add this post as well, just to keep everyone on there toes.

I am in need of some 22-6mm rem. load data. I have a little from a couple websites, I think accuratereloading, and reloadernest. I could use more.
I will use this thing for plinking, pdogs and yotes mostly. The barrel twist is 1x9 so I don't think I can use the real heavy bullets but maybe I can try.

Thanks all

broncstomper
Terry
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: 22-6mm reloading data

Post by lyonch »

the guys that i specifically know that shoot that caliber are, coyotehunter, prairieghost, and DustyC. Hopefully coyotehunter will chime in and give you some loads. He has been shooting that caliber for quite a few years.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Thanks Chris.

broncstomper
Terry
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I shoot 47.5 gr Reloader 22, and 69 gr sierra hollow point boat tails. I got my load info from Coyotehunter and PG.
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep that is what I am shooting now and getting 3500 fps at 4800' above sea level. I have shot the H1000 and H4831 short cut. H1000 with vel. in that 3350 range and shooting 68 gr. Hornady BTHP gave excellent results in the 10 twist. I now have it in a 9 twist and started shooting the 69 gr sierra BTHP
Coyotes Forever
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Thanks coyotehunter, Dustyc,

I will keep that in mind. You guys are using long barrels I have a 14 incher. Tim suggested trying faster burning powders with the short barrel, to burn the powder and give consistent and predictable pressure signs. I like that idea so I've been looking at the powder burn chart from Hodgdon. I think the powders that look in the area of burn and have large kernals is the imr4198 and h4198. I don't have any of those on hand but I have some imr3031 which is a little slower but has the larger kernals. I am looking at the larger kernals to use up the shell capacity and maybe I can get away from using a filler. Judging from a 22-250 and a 6mm Rem I'm going to start with IMR3031 of 36.7grs. and a 50gr bullet, good or bad I don't know. It is a light enough load that I should be able to increase it some and see where I end up. Powders also in the burn range are H322, H335 and reloader 10 I think it was, so I'll see how the imr3031 does and maybe pickup the others up after my test.

Thanks guys

broncstomper
Terry
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Went through some of my books and most if not all the loads are useing slow powders (rifle loads) with some being out dated and along with heavey bullets...
I think you have the right idea starting with 3031.. IMR-4064 maybe another good choice or powders simular in burn rate.. For load info you could also use whats out there for the 22-243 and start low, you may find some more up to date info... Another thing you can do is find a cartridge that holds about the same amount of water as the 22-6mm and use its load info as a guide.. For example when I had a 20x47 Lapua built there was'nt any load info available, but I found out the 20x47 holds one grain less water than a 22-250 so I used the 22-250 data for finding my loads or atleast a starting point.. I started low and worked my loads up and checked them in the chrono as I went. I new my loads had to be moveing along at 3400 to a max of 4150 fps to be in the safe zone so when I tested my first batch and found I was pushing them around 3500 I new I was safe and could move up in powder weight.. Just watch youre primers, case extraction and vel. and you should be ok...
Also keep in mind that some slower powders like IMR-4350 can produce a high pressure spike if loaded to low, I believe years ago there was a problem with this powder when trying to shoot a reduced load in a 243 win... Good luck..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would not run a quicker powder in that chambering. start with some thing like reloader-22, around 46 grains to start with, a consistant proven powder for that case. I know of lots of guys shooting .22-6mm with great results with that load. I would not at this time worry about some unburnt powder down the tube. every one deals with that to some extent.
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

It may be worth mentioning that the 22-6mm has a variant called the 224 TTH (texas trophy hunter). I believe the TTH is throated longer for heavier bullets.
The shorter thoat of the regular 22-6mm may raise pressures a bit, so watch your ass if you run TTH loads.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

when working up a new load my concern is always accuracy, not velocity. Typicaly the slowest burning powder you can use for any given caliber will give you the best accuracy. You want pressure to build up slowly for a even expansion of energy. What you are trying to attain is gyroscopic stability throughout the effective range you intend to shoot the any given caliber. you have to ask yourself, is this going to be a 1000 yard gun or am I going to be typically shooting prairie dogs at 300 yards. the better the bullet design the less rpm you will need to attain this which means less powder and more barrel life. bullets are kind of like tires on a truck, when you get them they need to be balanced to avoid vibrations. obviously a tire on a NASCAR needs to be spot on if they are driving at 175 mph for 400 miles. The main difference as I see it between cheap bullets and expensive bullets the concentricity of a lot of bullets and the consistancey from batch to batch. The center of gravity of a bullet should be close to its center line to keep it from wobbleing in flight. The harder you push a bullet of course you will get more velocity but once you get past stabilizing the bullet then you are just burning powder and your barrel up. Most bullets stabilize just around the speed of sound and typically you want to maintain at least that through out the range you intend to shoot. so if it is a 1000 yard gun you would typically need to shoot a light bullet very fast at the muzzle to maintain that energy down range or shoot heavier bullets. 100 fps on my 22-6mm at 500 yards only has about a 1" differnce on the total bullet impact. if you can get 3300 fps out of a 14" barrel with a 69 gr bullet and it is accurate I would say that you have won. just my 2 cents
Coyotes Forever
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

+1
Most guys who've one quite a bit of hanloading but have never played with heavy bullets in the bigger 22's give me a damn funny look when I tell them I'm running H1000 in a 22 caliber. But the stuff just plain works. Consistent velocities and good accuracy. I can't ask for any more. And yes CH, I will try 22 when my H1000 stash runs dry.
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Hi guys,

I appreciate the replys they give me food for thought. Of coarse that could be a danger by itself.

Each idea has merit.

Leadbisuit, I know about the 22tth although I read/heard somewhere the 22-6mm was first made back in the 60s and had a name like 22 chase, or charles or frank or bill, I don't remember. I can find it again I think. Then TTH came along I think in the late 90s and built the 22TTH, but, I have read mixed reports on this cartrigde. one place says its just a 6mm Rem necked down, another place says the throat is longer, another place says the sides and angle are different. So, I have been ignoring any data specific to the 22 TTH. I have an email to someone who knows someone who knows the TTH gunsmith. I also have heard/read that the original gunsmith has died and his "apprentice" still is around. We'll see.

Coyotehunter and Tim, both thoughts have a great deal of logic and merit. I have been reloading almost as long as coyoterhunter has been alive you are younger than my oldest son. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just funnin ya. I have generally been very conservative in my reloading I hadn't been concerned with stepping out of the books you might say. This cartridge is different so I think I'll play some, and hopefully learn something along the way. " and not damage anything " .

Here are my thoughts. I am not a precision shooter, although I think it would be a lot of fun. so I don't have to have that last bit of speed or the last bit of accuracy. With the 14inch barrel I won't get the speed anyway. I have 5 cartridges loaded with 36.7 grs of imr3031 I know this is a little load so I'll have plenty of room to work my way up. The case capacity, up to the bottom of the neck is 44.6 of imr3031 which is around a std load for the 6mm, the bullet is 50gr. This is not the way to measure case capacity but I was looking for a fast powder that filled or almost filled the case. I have some load data from reloadernest I think it was, maybe something else I'll check, that was using 50grs of H1000 and went up to 56grs. I can't even get 50grs of H1000 into the case it spills over. I can't think of a way to even compress that much powder to get to the 56grs. I'll try other powders along the way and find one that fills the case and has accuracy. Light bullets and short barrels generally point to a faster powder rather than a slow powder. Not always but most of the time. If I don't like the faster stuff I'll move up the burn rate chart. I'm not in any hurry I have other rifles for coyotes.

I don't have a crono so I'll be watching pressure and accuracy and any other abnormality. Keep your thoughts coming as you think of a idea, email me if you want rather than keep this post alive. I'll do the same if you wish. Leadbiscuit that goes for you too, or any others reading this post.

Isn't this fun :D :D

Keep up the good work and thanks all

broncstomper
Terry
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

If you're thinking of the 224 Clark, it has a 30 degree improved shoulder.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

reloading longer then I have been alive....... My bad. thought I read some were on here you had been reloading for 20 years. Maybe I read that wrong.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Hmmmm a guy asks a question and gets some solid answers, then knows more than anyone to start with anyhow, and now would like to go private with all this magical reloading stuff :roll: What the hell is there to hide for reloading?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!