inaccurate beam scale?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

broncstomper
coyotehunter

inaccurate beam scale?

Post by broncstomper »

Hi folks,

I just found this site a few day ago and I hope I can help others as well as you all help me.
My first problem is an inaccurate beam scale. I have an RCBS 505. I have been reloading for 20 yrs and never came across this before. I measure each load, I finicky that way. I don't have an electronic scale or dispenser of any kind. I purchased check weights because I couldn't get the beam to balance anymore. I'm .7grs heavy. Better heavy than lite I guess. have any of you had this problem and what did you do?

Thanks all

broncstomper
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: inaccurate beam scale?

Post by leadbiscuit »

I have a 505 as well. Mine seems to need adjustment on a pretty regular basis. I've always been able to correct it by screwing the adjustable leg on the left end of the scale up or down. I'm guessing you already tried this? Welcome to the site.

leadbiscuit
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Hi Leadbiscuit,

Yes I tried the balance leg but it didn't work. I have thought about the little ball bearings(weights) in the scale pan holder. I don't have anything to replace/exchange them with but I might be able to find something if that is the best way.

Thanks
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You could try useing lead shot of varis sizes to get the beam to balance correctly.. It may need a cleaning as well if you have'nt done so...
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Thanks Tim,

The cleaning side is done (several times just to make sure). The lead shot is a good idea, I'll find some various bird shot sizes and give that a try.

I haven't for sure determined if the scale is always .7grs heavy or not. I'll be verifying that to over the next few days.

Thanks

broncstomper
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

if it comes down to it you could always use little pieces of plastic. just chip some off a pen with a knife tell everything levels out.

zero the scale, then put on .7g and chip until you get zeroed out again. unscrew the tray and dump you plastic into the bottom and rescrew the tray back on. Then zero it out again and test your weights. It should come out perfect. Lead shot can be used, but if you get to much in just cut a pellet in half etc.

good luck,

deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

xdeano,

Yes, plastic chips should work great for fine tuning. I'm going to test the scale in 10gr increments up to 100grs to make sure it is .7gr off across the board. If its not then I don't know what would be wrong. If it is off .7gr across the board then I'll zero it with lead shot and plastic or whatever and retest. I hope this all fixes the problem. I could just adjust for the amount off but that make me itchy.

Thanks xdeano

broncstomper
Terry
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Here's what I did.

I have a new set of check weights I just got to check and fix this problem. First I used the check weights to measure from 10gr to 100gr in 10gr increments. The scale was consistently heavy .65 gr. Consistency is good. Then I opened the pan holder and found tiny lead shot inside, some were so tiny they looked like fly specks. I didn't measure any of them I just started with the smallest and took one out. I ended up taking five of the fly specks out and I was weighting .05 heavy. I quit taking out shot there. I then remeasured the range of 10 gr thru 100 gr again and the scale consistently weighed heavy .05.

I say .05 because I had the .1 scale balance tab on between the .0 and .1 . Thats as best I can do and I think it should be fine. I put the little fly speck weights in with the check weights to have for later use.

Thanks all for your help.

broncstomper
Terry
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Youre check weights. Have you checked them on another scale to see if they are on??? Reason I ask is I have a set also, actually a couple sets and one set one of the little weights is off.. Another way to check youre scale is weigh a few bullets they should be with-in a .1 or less depending on manufacture.. I have a 30 gr. 17 cal. bullet set aside for checking my electric scales to makes sure they are on or if I need to re-calibrate them...
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Thanks Tim,

I'll do that. I was trying to think of a way to double check things. My check weights are brand new from RCBS but you never know so I will check them.

broncstomper
Terry
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Im with Tim. Id double check the weights.

We have a set for our digital lab scales at work, a several thousand dollar set of "verified" check weights. Well they werent verified very damn well!

I had a buddy complaining about a balance beam not being right. Turns out, he had powder underneath the brass cup. Dumped the powder off the brass cup holder and it was dead nuts.
broncstomper
coyotehunter

Post by broncstomper »

Thanks barebakjack.

I took mine apart to clean and take some of the lead shot out. seems fine now, although I haven't double checked the weights yet. That's next

Thanks all

broncstomper