Favorite coyote trap and why?

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Favorite coyote trap and why?

Post by lyonch »

bucks - in my opinion, duke has come a long ways with there traps. the only concern i have with a duke 1.5 is the pan. Take a look at where it sits according to the levers. You have about 1.5" to work with from the pan to the jaws. If you grind down the pan a touch on each side, you can gain about an inch. With that being said, They are all i used and prefer on my water line. You need to keep in consideration, i am drowning them too. Since you are running on land, and you want to go with duke, i would recommend you look into the 1.75 then. The pan has a bigger kill area, and you will get a better grab on those fox for just a couple dollars more. With a 24 hour check, i wouldn't worry about chew outs.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I bought a dozen duke 1.75s last year, after seeing what I saw I bought a shitload more for coon this year.

For the money I was VERY surprised by them. Very strong springs, good geometry to the trap, high lever stop, thicker jaws than I expected, etc. (They held coyotes no problemo). The only cheap part to them is the pan screw and the chain system.

I do replace the factory cheap ass chain and swivels and center swivel them with a welded lap link around the base though. There are better traps out there yes, but when it comes to cost the Dukes are not that bad.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I agree BBJ - they have a really cheap chain on them. For a drowning set up the chain is fine, but you toss that chain into a coyotes world and i think a person will have problems. Thanks for the hands on review for the 1.75's!!
Chris Lyon

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

lyonch wrote:I agree BBJ - they have a really cheap chain on them. For a drowning set up the chain is fine, but you toss that chain into a coyotes world and i think a person will have problems. Thanks for the hands on review for the 1.75's!!
Very cheap chain. I had three of them now that ive found going through my batch that didnt even have one side of the double loop link wrapped back around to close it up! It was just kind of "crimped" back onto itself. :?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Since we are talking about chain, what do you guys prefer? I keep hearing that twist link chain is a lot easier to bed. I have always used USA #3 straight link chain myself.
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I like the #2 or #3 twist chain for about three feet with three swivels. One at the trap one inline and one at the stake. Then if I'm going to use a drag I go another 3 to 6 feet of the double loop chain.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use #2 chain.........tough to find.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

lottsa info for me to think about??. on one hand i want the best of the best. on the other, i want to make sure i can make some $$ and not sure if i wanna drop 1000's in equipt right away. on coon i'm quite sure i could put up some goood #'s. we don't have a great pop. of coyotes of fox here. i'll stew on it for a while. thanks for the input :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I have stuff with #2, #3, straight and twist link, doesnt really matter to me as long as its quality chain.

That chinese crap is exactly that, crap. Ive gone through a box and found links unwelded, links welded together. It never fails too, you always find the bad piece right in the middle of a section youd like to use so you end up cutting that bad part out and wasting some chain. Crap.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

maybe a dumb?? but why could you not replace the chain with cable?? i guess i'm having a hard time reasoning why the type of chain makes a diiference.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

It all plays a role when you bed a trap bucks!

Jamie you mentioned that you use #2 and that it is tough to find. Do you know if it is USA #2 straight link that you use? fntpost.com carries #2 imported, twisted and USA straight link if you are in need of some.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I get it from OGormans.....thanks for the heads up though. Most animals will chew right through that cable. It really is not that durable. I use 1/8" on my disposables, just the loop sticking out of the ground and squeeze down a j hook from my end swivel to my loop. I just cut the j hook and leave the cable there for next time when it is time to pull.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I've been to about every hardware store in the country and even my wholesale venders can't compare with FnT as far as price go's. I havn't priced it at O'Gormans though. I'm sure if your a student its probly pretty damn good.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I made my first order from FnT here a little while ago, mostly just because they had everything I needed in stock. Their prices are pretty comparable to Cumberlands down in Owattonna.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Once you make an order with FNT a time or two, you will soon be using them all the time. They are top notch in my opinion. I really like the simple fact that shipping doesn't get over $20 unless you were to buy a bunch of buckets.

BBJ - Are you paying taxes on your stuff at cumberlands? That's where fnt beats them every time for me, oh and the shipping gets them too.
Chris Lyon