Stretching Fur

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Do you put up your own fur

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 21

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Stretching Fur

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Does anyone cross the legs on their fox or coyotes on the belly side when stretching. I had a very expierenced fox fur handler tell me to do that last year to give the rump area a fuller look but it really looked bad when i did it. Has anyone else tried this or still do it?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have crossed them and have also pulled them straight down and left it that way as well. I have never had a fur buyer make a comment either way. Terry Bush spent three years working for a buyer skinning fox down by the cities. I will have to ask him that question and see how they pinned the legs.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The guy that told me to do it was in the same boat as Terry he told me the numbers of fox that he put up but i can't remember for sure so i won't say but it was incredible.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Crossing the legs is not a big concern with the fur buyers.
For coyotes they want clean fur, no blood or cockaburrs and fully dried, no sour spots.
They want the belley fur long and clear and not matted. When coyote is stretched and dried they want full fur on the shoulders and hipps, thick and silky.. My brother in-law likes to take the cartridge out of the ears and pinn them foward, it just shows that the fur is well cared for and nothing more, by doing this you mite get a few dollars more, but mainly it just makes it look nice and uniform..
thumpper23
coyotehunter

Post by thumpper23 »

My experience with putting up furs is, try and locate one of the old ringer washing machines, without the ringer. Put your furs in there with a little Dawn dishwashing soap and run it for a few minutes. The Dawn takes out the grease left from the fat and gets rid of the blood and dirt as well. When the fur is all dried the hair is nice and silky soft.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

A fur buyer does that also. Me! I just take them to the car wash and hang from mat holders and spray down..T.A.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Car wash!? LOL

I just take a 5 gallon bucket of cold water and some laundry detergent and wash them by hand. Not too fun to do when its 10 degrees outside and doing this outside but your hands warm up. LOL. Then I speed dry them with my leaf blower on my sawhorses.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

My fur shed is not heated yet and i used to wash my hides in a bucket also, but when i have 4-5 of them to clean it makes for alot of trips for clean water. Then one nite i was washing my truck and thought hay those matt holders would work great for cleaning hides. So thats how i do them know, and it works great.. T.A.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Ah,,,,I have had great results from the local laundramat. The big commercial washer and dryer. Best if you do not have a lot of people around. :shock:
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

The high pressure washers, don't tear up the furs?? Thats a pretty good idea.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have not tried it but have had a very reliable source tell me that he fleshes his coyotes with pressure washer and it works great only it makes a mess. the pressure washer wont cut the hide and peels that fur off like a glove.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I might have to check into that one brad. My uncles build highpressure washers on the side. I just need to tell them how much pressure to build it for and they can do it.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The old car wash here in town dose'nt have a very hi pressure compared to the newer ones in neighbering town. Just stand back aways and spray the hide down only takes a few seconds, start at the top and work youre way down, I keep the wand about 6-10 inches from hide..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Tim, are you talking fleshing them with the pressure washer or just cleaning the fur?
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I could see fleshing be a messy job with a high pressure washer, before I knew I would have meat and fat all over me :cry:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"