Rub sets

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Rub sets

Post by lyonch »

EO - do you have any areas that maybe you could get a slide in your set up? I'm just trying to think of other methods rather than staking or drags for cats, if you want them kept in the same general area. I'm not a cat expert by anymeans, but i am just trying to think outside the box a little :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Yeah I probly could Chris. I could wire to rocks and trees as well but I have literally more drags than I do traps so its kind of a deal were I use what i got. I rarely get anything to get away from the set if its on a drag. Mainly because I trap under a juniper or sage brush. When I do set up in the bluffs is when I have stuff get to running on me a bit. But with cats they just don't fight it too much and their pretty easy to get tangled. I walked up on one once that wasn't even tangled, he was just hid out under a sage brush. the first thing I saw was the drag laying in the grass and I thought SHIT!!! I grabbed the drag and went to yank the trap out of the brush and their was a cat attached to it. :shock: :shock: Long story short after changing my underwear I got the cat in the pickup.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LOL I would have jumped and screamed like a little girl!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

interesting study on snares

Post by Coyotehunter »

http://coyotehunter.net/upload/154175.pdf

interesting study on snare breakaways and stinger kill springs.
Coyotes Forever
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

sorry your link doesn't work.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

try it now
Coyotes Forever
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

OK
Last edited by coyotelatrans on Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I guess I don't see the point? Small sample size and also they mentioned the fact that longer cable would have an impact on the studies done. I have been snaring for 23+ years and have used many locks and the springs on the market and the results tell me one thing the stinger spring is far superior in non entanglement situations to a quicker time of death. I see the same results be it 5/64th or 1/16th cable dead coyotes with minimal ground disturbance. THe results fo show you need a lighter weight bad with most springs as it will make them run higher in test breakage, I use sullivans and Dirk Miller bads and don't hold leg caught deer they all break out even with the stinger springs. I can see the results with the snares around the coyotes neck I catch and how tight they are.

That being said coyotes can act differently once in a great while I do get one that doesn't fight as hard those are the live ones, but the high majority using 5 ft snares and 8-10 ft extensions look like those I have showed in my photo's laid out and minimal disturbance, and trails that are reusable over and over. That is the optimum results correct? Dead coyotes and little ground disturbance.

I think the numbers would change if they lengthend the cable as they stated could make a differance, because it does in a non entanglemnt situation. If you like call Marty in Hays AB, CA and talk to him about his kill spring he has a pile of coyotes with them and then some.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I tried the stingers this past year. I was getting little to no compression on them.

I built a jig to test how much force was required to compress them. It took quite a bit more than 50 lbs to compress a "50 lb" spring. This was straight line pull so im guessing those weights would increase putting a coyote neck and loop into the mix.

IMO this is pure overkill for a coyote sized critter and im going back to the 25# coil springs. Sure they roll over on themselves sometimes and may get trashed after only one catch, but from what ive seen they work a lot better and are far cheaper.

From what I saw, the stingers were a $.40 component that wasnt contributing anything to the system. I know a lot of big number guys like Marty Senneker use them to great success, but I just wasnt seeing them contribute much.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Bareback each to his own but did you give them the cable to set the spring? That is key to them working well, over kill when it comes to coyotes? I have little problems with them compressing on the majority of coyotes, they shine in areas with non entanglement after all if one has good entanglement I say a spring isn't that important, these where made for areas lacking such and end the need of carrying around rebar for quick humane kills. In those reguards they have been a great addition to snaring in many areas.
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

coyotelatrans wrote:Bareback each to his own but did you give them the cable to set the spring? That is key to them working well, over kill when it comes to coyotes? I have little problems with them compressing on the majority of coyotes, they shine in areas with non entanglement after all if one has good entanglement I say a spring isn't that important, these where made for areas lacking such and end the need of carrying around rebar for quick humane kills. In those reguards they have been a great addition to snaring in many areas.
12' minimum, 19' if I add another extension.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I see great benefit in them so instead of packing rebar I will continue to use them on all my snares,a few years of use and a good share of coyotes have shown "me" the value they have, over other methods for sure. I know they weren't invented by Elvis :wink: so some will look at other ideas and methods with a skeptic eye but so be it.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

why has this turned to the notion that anyone is implying carring rebar to every set?? It is like most tools.....there is a time and a place. If I have good entanglement I do not bother with rebar.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

coyotelatrans wrote:I see great benefit in them so instead of packing rebar I will continue to use them on all my snares,a few years of use and a good share of coyotes have shown "me" the value they have, over other methods for sure. I know they weren't invented by Elvis :wink: so some will look at other ideas and methods with a skeptic eye but so be it.
Im not debating the benefits of a kill spring. A working spring adds a lot to a dispatch snare IMO, and like you, I have seen benefit from them in non-entanglement situations.

My only grip is with the stinger springs. It would be great to have 50 lbs of outward force applied to the closed loop keeping it nice and tight, but not if it requires almost 100 lbs to compress and thus apply the outward force to the loop. Perhaps if they made a 25 lb stinger spring.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

The spring doesn't need to "bottom Out" to be very effective. I would bet when you consider a 30 lb coyote on 10-12 ft of cable the pressure applied is higher than one would think.